Need help on The Venezuela tópico

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Need help on The Venezuela tópico

• Massimo Mazzone

Hi guys and gals, i am in Lima, Perú, for a classical-liberal meeting and I just had dinner with a few libertarian friends from Venezuela. The topic of course was what to do to get rid of the Chavista regime, assuming that in the next elections in autumn the regime will recour to massive frauds as it is likely. My default position was that the use of violence is not moral, and I would see emigration as the only viable moral option. I know Block position on secession, and I am aware that even Rothbard considered the American revolution justified, even if, as far as I know, he rejected any suggestion of armed struggles in any other cases, either on moral or tactical grounds.

I still kept my position of not recurring to violence when confronted with the comparison with the revolution in the US, even if arguably the oppression in Venezuela today is worse than in America under the British. I maintained that as far as the option of exit exists, the initiation of violence against, for example, the police thugs that come to your house to put you in jail without any cause is not justified.

Finally they ask me about a situation when the exit option does not really exist, mentioning as an example East Germany before the fall of the wall, or North Korea today.

I was at a loss, I could not really feel I could defend my position any longer. I would love to know what you think.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Gwenhwyfar Verloc

I don’t have anything intrinsically against the use of violence against tyrants, but because of the alliances necessary to form an effective military force you’re likely to undermine your libertarian principles. Naturally, using a foreign government to help you is shooting yourself in the foot.

I tend to agree that emigration (and undermining the law) is the most effective way to improve your own liberty. Specifically, the problem in Venezuela or the DPRK is not the government, it’s the support most people give to it. Until and unless they refuse to cooperate there’s really no solution. Statists gonna state.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 0 reply threads