A thought provoking questions about atheism

You must be logged in to create new topics.

A thought provoking questions about atheism

Tags:
  • Enrique

As knowledge increases every day, more and more ideas, paradigms, and theories are thrown into the garbage bin due to their obsolescence or because new developments in the scientific world discard them as erroneous. In the 16th century, people thought the earth as a flat surface and the center of the universe. Once the correct knowledge of the nature of our planet was obtained, such ideas were nothing but inconceivable.

If curiosity creates new ideas, and new ideas develop into new theories, and such theories are further proved or disproved by concrete facts and evidence, and such evidence is extremely related to the technological advancement of society at the time of the discovery, then does it follow that the religions of the world are, with a high level of confidence, utterly wrong and swim in a sea of error? And if our current technological advancements only extend our knowledge to a certain point, a very minute point, of the vastness of the universe, does it follow that there is a possibility that a deity may exist but we do not, at the time, have the capability to observe and/or measure it?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Malcolm Heights

“And if our current technological advancements only extend our knowledge to a certain point, a very minute point, of the vastness of the universe, does it follow that there is a possibility that a deity may exist but we do not, at the time, have the capability to observe and/or measure it?”

I believe that we may find life in the universe but not a “deity” that resembles anything described in the Abrahamic religions. You might as well be asking if  some day we might have the technology to discover the tooth fairy.

Considering that Atheists comprise 2.01% of the worlds population, the other 98% aren’t going to be giving up superstition any time soon.

Organized religion is a tool for oppression and a hierarchy that’s needs to be debunked.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enrique

And the worst of all evils come from religion, its canons, those who practice it and, at the same time, believe it. Religion, as currently prescribed to us, will not get human development anywhere. It hinders scientific and medical research, condones holy wars, regresses human reasoning to unprecedented historic eras, and, above all, claims to be the most peaceful manner of human interaction while its canons obviously urge destruction of the unbeliever.

Deuteronomy 13: 6-10. If your brother, the son of your mother, your son or your daughter, the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, secretly entices you, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known, neither you nor your fathers, of the gods of the people which are all around you, near to you or far off from you, from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth, you shall not consent to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him or conceal him; but you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. And you shall stone him with stones until he dies, because he sought to entice you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

A pretty steep punishment for my daughter when she comes back from yoga class, don’t you think?

Quran 4:74. Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward.

And then we wonder why we have so many martyrs?

It is all madness, a vast amount of madness disguised in sheep wool. But, does that mean that nothing else exists? Maybe not a god, as defined nowadays, or a deity, but something that we don’t understand quite yet. Not a creator, omnipotent, omnipresent entity, but a drunk fat sentient robot running a massive AI version of the Sims… Maybe?

Malcolm Heights

“but a drunk fat sentient robot running a massive AI version of the Sims”

That’s funny. A homeless god in the galaxy.

Derrick Davis

If you define a god that is outside the parameters of logic, reason, and science I don’t believe there will ever be a way to observe or measure it.

Amber Moon

Is claiming something doesn’t exist because one doesn’t understand it an act of reason and logic?

Is denying something exists because one has not seen it, an act of using reason and logic?

All worldwide terror blamed on religion was actually at the hands of the state. You take anything and put it with the state and it becomes dangerous. Education and the state – dangerous, healthcare and the state – dangerous, monopolies and the state – dangerous, unlimited power and the state – dangerous, money and the state – dangerous.

It just so happens that since 98% of the world does believe in religion, it is very handy for the “state” to use. But the truth is, for every religious person actively involved in harming another , there are thousands who simply use it for their own moral code or to help others.

There is no denying the Christian churches donate the most, run the most shelters, feed the most poor, all over the world. When I was younger I had to hit food banks for a time to feed my 4 kids. The churches that gave me food never pressured info.. I signed up, they gave me bags of food and offered to pray for my family or direct me to more services if I chose.

The entire bible is stories on statism..and why Christ said to walk away from it. Do unto others fulfills the law. Someone coming into their friends and family telling them to give up their liberty and become slaves would definitely be seen as a dangerous person at that time. As we should get by now.. the state is deadly and believing it in is pure poison. The family unit was considered the authority.. there was no other true authority.

This isn’t talking about a girl going to yoga class and saying we should take up yoga.

BTW, the end of the book says do unto others.. respect the creation of man and the created.. don’t be violent because violence is saved for the violent.

Daniel Davis

Hello Moon, to answer your questions: no to the first one and yes to the second. Also I would say that it’s not the charity that Atheists are opposed to. It is the oppression of your rational mind. For a very long time the state claimed its power directly from religion. Henry the eighth, king Richard, pretty much all of the European countries were ruled by the Catholic church at one point in history. Today this is not so but Religion is highly involved in our society. For some it may be comforting and brings fellowship but for many others it is oppressive. Take Pentecostal for example. Many of these churches control how their people dress, what they do with their sex lives, even the media the flock is allowed to partake. This is purely about controlling minds and has nothing to do with helping people. This is poison.

Kieran Keshan

“Is claiming something doesn’t exist because one doesn’t understand it an act of reason and logic?”

Atheists and Agnostics don’t make any such claims. They’re waiting for the proof, as the onus is on the person making the claim. It’s the believers making the claims.

“Is denying something exists because one has not seen it, an act of using reason and logic?”

No, but how else are we to measure god, by listening, by touch, smell or taste ? When a believer fails to prove their claim of god I think it’s reasonable and fairly logical to disregard them. If they can’t supply the goods, then why do they even believe ? Did god fail to equip us with tools to measure it’s existence ?

I kinda look at it like this, God knows what it would take for everyone on the planet to believe, yet god only seems to show his existence to a select few who in turn, try to convince the rest of us. If God’s ultimate goal is to get everyone into heaven, and god knows what proof is required to make it happen, then what is god waiting for ? It’s counterproductive to the cause. Either God doesn’t care or doesn’t exist.

Viewing 5 reply threads