Tweet or War & Peace?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Tweet or War & Peace?

• Daniel Shafrir

One of the things I noticed when discussing libertarian/anarchist matters with friends and family is that in order to get the point across regarding a certain debate you’re having, you need to give background. And because statist views are so flawed fundamentally, the background needs to be very basic. I’m talking non-aggression principle – basic. And then you work your way up to the discussion at hand. Quite often there are a number of streams that have to come together, each with their own background… It doesn’t seem like you can just say “no, the welfare state is immoral” and expect your discussion partner to say “oh, yeah. You’re right!”.

Same thing goes with when I want to get my point across on paper. If you want to reach people on the outside (rather than preach to the choir), what is the ideal length of an article? I know it depends on the reader, but in your experience/opinion, how short must an article be to capture the attention span of today’s readership? Where do I put my pen down and hope my point came across?

p.s. I’m mostly asking this because I’m using my publishing site as a way to practice being more succinct and improve my own discursive abilities.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Dan B

I have to admit from the start that I’m probably a terrible person to listen to on this subject. I absolutely cannot make simple points like the world wants me to. I mean, I can make those simple points, but with no background…there really is no merit to the points. I feel like that’s what around 100% of statists do in an argument.

For instance, my mother-in-law came over the other night and brought up the Bundy Ranch topic. So, I started off with, “It’s not just as simple as ‘Did he or didn’t he have to pay the fee,’ or ‘Does the government own the land or not.’ You have to understand the background of the whole situation, including the basis of the laws, and whether or not they are just.” She said, “Well, I don’t have time for a history lesson, I just want to know who is right and who is wrong.” That is what is wrong with society. Nobody wants to understand the fundamentals, they just want to know everything.

So, I do my best to get to the point without writing a novel. But I feel like it’s up to you to write it how you feel it. If you feel that the detail is necessary, then the detail is necessary. If people don’t like it, then invite them to tell you what they don’t like about it. If you want to cater to them, then you can change it.

Just my $.02

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

B.K. Marcus

“Well, I don’t have time for a history lesson, I just want to know who is right and who is wrong.”

But … but … but …

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.