B⃦ or Ƀ?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

B⃦ or Ƀ?

• Panty Waste

Seems to be mostly a discussion of branding, but there’s a push by one group to have Ƀ be the symbol to denote bitcoin, while another group would like to keep B⃦.

The problem, as explained in an article at Coindesk, is this:

Bitcoin has long been denoted as B⃦, however it is not recognized as a Unicode symbol by the Unicode Consortium, which develops such standards.

Having a symbol in Unicode form means it would work in different fonts and formats and would help to better convey the cryptocurrency to the masses in various forms of media.

The Unicode Ƀ symbol is already recognized as a Unicode symbol by the Unicode Consortium, and therefor is accessible pretty widely.

Curious if anyone here is married, as it were, to one or the other symbol. Me? I’ve been using “BTC” to denote bitcoin. 😛

Cheers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Von Fugal

I think the question of whether it is in the current unicode standard is beside the point. Whatever ends up being the “standard” symbol for bitcoin will, eventually, be added to the unicode standard *as* the bitcoin symbol.

I think that until then, or when concerned about font translation, just use BTC like you say. 😉

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.