Bitcoin Wallet for iOS

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Bitcoin Wallet for iOS

• B.K. Marcus

A friend recommends the OS X app Hive for my BTC wallet, but I’d rather have something on my iPhone or iPad. Am I really just out of luck at this point?

Does anyone have any experience with web-based wallets?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Meg G.

You can use the Coinbase wallet via your browser on iOS and it works pretty well, but Apple has pulled the native apps. I (luckily) snagged the Coinbase app prior to its removal from the App Store.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Andrew Trznadel

I hear Coinbase is iffy, as far as trustworthiness goes.  Any truth to that?

I ask because there’s a messaging app I use, called Gliph, that allows you to access your Coinbase account. I’ve had reservations about using that function.

Chris Pacia

You should dump the iphone. It’s basically NSA spyware anyway.

All of the mobile development is happening on the android side. There is one project to build a web wallet that can use HTML5 to use the QR scanner that will eventually be available for iphone. But again, it’s a web wallet.

Tomas Forgac

Coinpunk is specifically designed and developed with this in mind. Blockchain.info also has html-based wallet which people use and is safe and trustworthy enough for larger savings as well.

Jeffrey Tucker

I really like coinbase. For now, I’m still using my legacy app from blockchain.info

That decision by iOS was just incredibly dumb. I keep hearing that they are going to reverse it.

Jeffrey Tucker

FInally!!

At least one wallet is now available. It is coinpocket.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/06/15/coinpocket-becomes-first-bitcoin-wallet-ios-re-enter-app-store/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=profeed

Roger Browne

Apple has changed their developer T&Cs and are now accepting Bitcoin wallet apps again. Blockchain.info has said that they will be bringing their wallet back to iDevices.

Blockchain is more secure than coinbase, because they don’t have control over your bitcoins (the unencrypted private key doesn’t leave your device), whereas Coinbase has a copy of the private key. However, Expedia will only process refunds to Coinbase wallets (even though they accept payment from any wallet).

B.K. Marcus

So here’s a real noob question: I downloaded coinpocket to my iPad and iPhone, and I used the iPad to set up a new Bitcoin wallet (my first).

I launch coinpocket on my iPhone and it wants to create a new wallet. I can’t have the same wallet on both devices?

Tomas Forgac

I’m Android user, so I don’t know coinpocket in particular, but it shouldn’t be a problem to export private key from one and import it to the other. Naturally you then expose the same stash to two wallets/devices

Keynesian Clown

I have heard the Bity app works and connects to your blockchain wallet. It only works for spending on the iphone and not ipad so I havent tried it.

Dave Burns

@chris Pacia

dump the iphone. It’s basically NSA spyware anyway.

Does this mean you are optimistic about google’s ecosystem? I thought they were all equally compromised.

Tomas Forgac

Blockchain.info wallet is back in iOS app store

Alva Cottingham

Pheeva is the best hot wallet for iOS at the moment. Its slick, easy, and integrated with gyft right in the wallet.

William Wolf

Honestly, I *highly* recommend breadwallet.  It is open source, the developer is really awesome (I follow it’s development closely, but am not a developer on it).  Not only that, it is a *full* bitcoin client, meaning that it does not rely on third-party API’s (like Hive or blockchain), but actually acts as a full SPV node.  On top of all that its dead-simple to use with the simplest interface around.

I’ve seen a lot of people recommend Coinbase, and I think there’s something important that needs pointing out.  When dealing with bitcoin, it is *critical* that you move coins int YOUR posession.  When you keep coins in coinbase, you DO NOT have posessions of the coins.  You have posession of IOU’s for coins from coinbase.

I personally love and use coinbase to purchase my coins, but I keep very minimal coins in there.  What you have in coinbase is not only at the mercy of coinbase, or hackers (i.e you can be mtgox’ed), but, more importantly, they are at the mercy of the government.  The government can swoop in at any time and freeze coinbases operations, locking up your coins (and IOU’s) with it.

Please take real ownership of your bitcoins, and only leave in coinbase what you’re willing to have disappear 🙂

William Wolf

oops