Help a newbie get started with Bitcoin?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Help a newbie get started with Bitcoin?

• Harry Halbert

Hi, I’m a newbie who wants to take the plunge and get started with Bitcoin.

I’ve been searching online for info on how to get started, but I’m finding all the info quite overwhelming and difficult to digest – so I thought I’d ask for help here.

1. Is there a step-by-step tutorial for beginners that is up-to-date? (I found some tutorials but they’re outdated, links don’t work anymore, etc)

2. If there’s no tutorial, then I’ll just take this step-by-step. I understand the first step is to setup a Bitcoin wallet. Which wallet would you recommend that is simple enough for a beginner to use, while also being secure?

Thanks for your help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• David Montgomery

I’m just learning too but picked up some things from this guide:

Homepage

Bitcoin isn’t for-the-masses easy yet, but one site that seems to be working hard to make it that way is bitreserve.org.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Mike Reid

Hey, @liberals,

We have the Bitcoin Brothers, Sam+ Steve Patterson, coming on Liberty.me LIVE next week to answer questions like yours and maybe even do a walkthrough. (Sam wrote the guide David pointed to, and Steve has a new Bitcoin book coming out.)

I’ll be the host.

I’m a bitcoin newb too, and you can learn right along with me.

I’ll post a link to the event page here as soon as our date is official and we get the page up.

Harry Halbert

Thanks David and Mike! Looking forward to it.

Mike Schmidt

Hey Harry, welcome to bitcoin. I just sent you a few bits to your btc address from your profile:
    1HGXBtSxjT5beqquV7g3L8YDrrheZqCW4Y

If you are looking to spend, I always thought https://whollyhemp.com/ was a great small business that accepts bitcoin natively within their site. (I am not affiliated 🙂

Getting a few bits and making your first purchase should get you a good feel for things. Cheers

Harry Halbert

I haven’t logged in for quite a while – just saw this. Great thanks Mike!

Zeroth Position

You can go to blockchain.info to create a wallet, to BTC-e for a good Bitcoin trading platform, and to Coinotron to use your GPU to mine altcoins to trade for Bitcoins.

Timothy Proto

Mr. Reece, thanks so much for that! I’m starting my wallet right now and you provided me exactly what i’m looking for!

Steve Long

The problem I seem to be having has to do with finding a decent mining program. The site I’ve been on wants me to download an ACIC program but I’m having trouble finding one that works on my computer.

Roger Browne

Steve, it’s no longer practical to mine bitcoins on a computer. There is now so much processing power on the Bitcoin network that you need to use dedicated mining hardware, or else you won’t mine enough bitcoins to cover even a tiny fraction of your electricity costs.

The ASIC programs are for controlling the dedicated hardware, not for doing the mining on your computer.

PS: “ASIC” means Application-Specific Integrated Circuit.

Max Hill

Yeah, like Roger said, leave bitcoin mining to the pros. You should just buy bitcoin like you would buy any other currency. You can get it on an exchange (probably more of a hassle than you need to go through) or through an intermediary like coinbase, or any of several others.

• Roger Browne

As an alternative to getting Bitcoin through an exchange, you can work for Bitcoin using microjobbing sites like bitlancerr, get tipped in Bitcoin for your content at YouTube or Reddit with ChangeTip, sell stuff for Bitcoin at marketplaces like CryptoThrift or BitcoinTrading, or run ads on your website for Bitcoin with ad networks like Operation Fabulous.