Henry David Thoreau "Here There Is No State"

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Henry David Thoreau "Here There Is No State"

• Cameron M. Belt

Hey guys.  Our next Book of the Week meeting (6/4) is going to be on the first part of Liberty.me’s collection of Henry David Thoerau’s works Here There Is No State. The first section covers his classic work, Civil Disobedience.  Looking forward to the discussion!  Post ideas, questions, etc. here throughout the week so our session is focused and the best we can make it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• B.K. Marcus

@johnjones found this for us:

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cameron M. Belt

Shoot!  Sorry guys for not attending the Hangout tonight.  I was at the gym and my phone died so I didn’t get the notification from my calender to remind me about it!  I hope it all went fantastically well!

B.K. Marcus

I want to apologize to everyone for the defunct hangout link last week. We now have a new, more reliable link thanks to @briggs Armstrong:

https://appear.in/libertybookworms

Because there were so few of us last week — and because the hangout this Wednesday will be followed by our Thoreau panel with Wendy @mcelroy and @sarahskwire — we’ve decided to stick with “Civil Disobedience” for this week’s hangout (6/11 at 8 PM ET).

@johnjones found us a YouTube version of the essay (see above), and I highly recommend reading Wendy’s introduction in Here There Is No State for an explicitly liberty-minded take on Thoreau’s great challenge to the state and where Thoreau’s thought fits into our tradition.

But let me re-emphasize that there is no assigned reading! You are free and even encouraged to show up without having read anything. Whether you’re curious to hear what others have to say about the “book of the week” or you just want to hangout with the bibliophiles of liberty (we can be a fun bunch), please feel welcome to join us.

We’re likely to migrate from the hangout at 8 to the Liberty.me U panel at 9 PM ET for yet more Thoreau!

Hope to see you all there.

@josephdiedrich
    @mattgilliland
    @meggilliland
    @bernmccarty
    @anarchocapitalist
    @mkocses
    @accapehart
    @berserkrl
    @corymassimino
    @albertlu
    @christopherputnam
    @tiffanymadison