Weekly Google+ Hangout: Contrarian/Value Investing

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Weekly Google+ Hangout: Contrarian/Value Investing

• Steven Das

Hi all,

Would anyone in this group be interested in organizing a weekly Google+ Hangout where we can meet, discuss, and get feedback on our various investment ideas?

I know that for me, being forced to discuss my ideas out loud works wonders to identify the holes in my thinking (in software development, this is sometimes called “rubber ducking“).

This could also be a productive way to stay accountable to our respective financial goals:  investing can be a minefield for procrastination, so setting weekly goals in front of a face-to-face group can be a powerful way to stay on track and maintain steady, incremental progress.

Any interest in doing this?  I live in Pacific Standard Time; my work schedule is almost completely flexible for doing this, although Sunday afternoons or evenings would be ideal for me personally.

Looking forward to “meeting” all of you by Hangout!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Christopher Allen

Sounds compelling. I’m on PST as well.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Steven Das

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your quick reply; this is great!

I’m going to repost shortly this message to the “Investment bootcamp” group of “Money and Investing” (since that seems like a pretty active group, including frequent posts by Rick Rule), but to throw out a first time:  would you be interested in potentially trying a first Hangout at 3 P.M. PST this Sunday, 24 August?

Looking forward to working with you!

Anonymous

I’m definitely keen for that!

Christopher Allen

Steven, that time should work for me.

• Adem Tumerkan

Count me always in. We had better start sooner than later as there are many bargains available. Let me know when.

-Adem Tumerkan

Zachary

I would be interested. I’m also on PST, and should have no trouble making the hangout.

• Toni Sopocko

Sounds interesting!  Not sure if I can make it or not (work) but maybe. . . oh, and, right now, it’s PDT.  I’ve gotten corrected for that recently.  Couple more months.

Adem Tumerkan

You should send out invitations for Sunday google hangout.

• Steven Das

Okay, Let’s give this a try at 3 P.M. PST tomorrow!

(Pardon the delay in getting back…I work as a software engineer for a startup, and am currently in the midst of working about 7 days a week for 8-10 hours a day on average…)

I think what will be easiest for this will just be to do a public hangout, since it sounds like our numbers may fluctuate; you can use this link to access the Hangout:

https://plus.google.com/events/ckqgermmakpk4ag0k36qq7n4a94

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow!

• Steven Das

Just to copy this to the main thread (since my original reply got posted on a sub-thread)…

Okay, Let’s give this a try at 3 P.M. PST tomorrow!

(Pardon the delay in getting back…I work as a software engineer for a startup, and am currently in the midst of working about 7 days a week for 8-10 hours a day on average…)

I think what will be easiest for this will just be to do a public hangout, since it sounds like our numbers may fluctuate; you can use this link to access the Hangout:

https://plus.google.com/events/ckqgermmakpk4ag0k36qq7n4a94

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow!

• Steven Das

Hi all,

Thanks again for showing up today; it was great to meet and talk for as long as our respective Internet connections permitted!

To avoid technical difficulties for future meetings, feel free to post here or private message me the following:

1. Your email address

2. Your Skype name

This way, we’ll have a couple of options to communicate in case one goes down.

We also decided – for newcomers viewing this discussion – that the 3 P.M. PST time on Sundays seems to work well.  I myself won’t be able to attend next week, but should be fine for future weeks.

Looking forward to catching up again soon!

• Christopher Allen

1. Email: [email protected]

2. Skype: stoffey99

• Anonymous

im on holidays at the moment guys but once i get a stable net connection and some free time im keen to get in. How was the first one?

• Steven Das

Good group, although unfortunately “stable net connections” were few and far between for us as well!

I’ll be away myself next weekend, but it sounds like the 3 P.M. PST meeting time on Sundays works well for this group, so we’d going to fix that as a weekly ritual.

Feel free to reach out to me any time at [email protected]; my Skype name is steven.das2.

Looking forward to seeing you at a future meeting, Tom!

Christopher Allen

On the Hangout we discussed economists and other ‘thinkers’ we like in the investment world. Adem and Zach, I forgot to mention a couple that I follow closely:

1. Grant Williams – Portfolio and Strategy Advisor for Vulpes Investment Management + Things That Make You Go Hmmm… newsletter.
      2. Eric Sprott

Grant’s newsletter and presentations are essential in my opinion. Eric Sprott is a legend in the resource industry.