The bare minimum requirements for a successful liberty app.

You must be logged in to create new topics.

The bare minimum requirements for a successful liberty app.

• Luke Parker

Bittorrent’s history taught us a lot about how to fight back against censorship and even governments. Starting from Napster, which was still centralized on a single server, all the way to our current file sharing tech, (oh man Popcorn Time rocks!) a public display of natural selection was well demonstrated and we now know exactly how to repeat the process of making an application that no authority can stop.

Invincible liberty apps must have 3 components:

1. They must be completely distributed. Any central point of failure WILL be exploited.

2. They must have Open-source Code. -You can’t trust it otherwise.

3. They must use strong encryption, preferably based around a SHA256 or stronger hashing process.

It takes all three components done well in order to make something like bitcoin and the future applications we’ll need to push liberty to the masses.

Some would add a blockchain to that list as a 4th item; Bittorrent itself, however, is proof that this isn’t a requirement… But of course making an application that employs the bitcoin blockchain is going to automatically give that project a HUGE boost in security, thanks to the world’s largest pool of miners there already.

One last thing that greatly helps is for the head coder or development team to be anonymous, just like Satoshi. Could you imagine the perceived power government would have if they imprisoned Satoshi on some trumped-up charge? People might not use bitcoin out of pity for him alone.

So if you ever see a coding project or new product that stands in the face of governments, do a quick check to see if it is indeed Decentralized, Open-sourced, and well Encrypted. If so, it might just have a chance of being completely invincible to anything governments throw at it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Jeffrey Tucker

This is precisely right. We need an article about this!!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Luke Parker

Thanks Jeffrey!

I wouldn’t mind writing it, but I am still learning my way around liberty.me. Such an article, and frankly any good article about cryptoanarchy, really shouldn’t be available for the public to read… What is the most visible place I can post such an article to here while only allowing members to read it?

Matt Gilliland

Anything published on your site will be publicly readable once we launch.

But why hide it? It’s not like the state doesn’t know these things are dangerous to it, and we in the crypto community agree with you. We gain now not by secreting these ideas away, but by spreading them and convincing others who care about liberty and human flourishing to put their effort into these innovative methods.

Luke Parker

There are two reasons to hide it from the public; one being that my name is attached to it and I wouldn’t like to draw any large-scale attention to myself from history’s most deadly killing machine… And the other is simply keeping the advantage to our people as long as possible.

This paywall isn’t invincible to the spooks I’m sure, but at least it lengthens the amount of time that team liberty can spread tactics and secrets to each other before the enemy sees it.

Tom Crass

And please an android app soon , I spend  70 to 80  percent of my internet  time on a tablet or phone .

Dave Burns

So why haven’t they kidnapped Gavin Andresen? At this point, he arguably has had more influence on bitcoin than Satoshi.

As for publishing the article, I would be happy to be your “front” and publish under my byline.

On the other hand, a similar (perhaps not quite so pithy and technically nuanced) analysis of the evolution of state-proof P2P appeared in the book “The Starfish and the Spider,” and I think some people at redecentralize.org and P2P foundation are openly pursuing this sort of agenda. Have you heard about maidsafe yet? I haven’t gotten around to trying out I2P yet.

I’m looking forward to secure P2P silkroad, amazon, cloud, google, etc.

Daniel Shafrir

Speaking of Maidsafe, what are your views on it? (p.s I created a new discussion topic on that). I’ve tried to get my head around ethereum, mastercoin and other “bitcoin 2.0” technologies. Maidsafe seems a bit confusing to me still.

Luke Parker

Gavin’s in no danger today because the year is 2014 and bitcoin hasn’t truly threatened the dollar at all yet. Who knows what will happen when the fed starts feeling the heat?

Yes, redecentralize.org & the P2P foundation appear to be headed in the right direction, although they seem to be limiting their field of focus to data, currency, & products. We’ll need to take it even further than that to obsolete governments. (All kinds of services too.)

Amir Taaki’s Dark Market looks like it could be  the start of a real P2P amazon… I’m looking forward to that line & type of code with great interest.

Mark Carlson

Definitely agree with the requirements Luke. One other I may add is to have incentives to participate in the product. I would argue that this is necessary for it’s continued evolution, and therefore, its survival in a free market. Miners mine for BTC, farmers cultivate for safecoin veggies, etc.