Explain it to me like I'm 5

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Explain it to me like I'm 5

• Andrew Stover

So, Ethereum is something I’m very excited about, but it’s something I still have a lot of trouble understanding.

If anyone has any questions about what something means or finds any resources that do a great job of describing how it works, please pass them along.

For instance: I’ve been trying to decide what coding language I should learn to be able to work with Ethereum and build my own “apps”, but I’m not quite sure what language it uses or how one develops on it. My understanding is that it has it’s own language that is kind of a pseudo language of other scripting languages like Python?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Anders Hass

Great video about Ethereum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCYdCaa4yaU

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Justin Heyns

Things are always changing with Ethereum but as it stands, this is the set up:

Every node runs a virtual machine that accepts byte code instructions just like Java. The ethereum team experimented with adapting existing languages to compile to the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) for a while but since then they’ve decided to create a whole new language called Solidity. It’s in the vein of C-based languages and looks a lot like javascript with static typing. The main reason they did this is because they wanted to make contracts a first class citizen of the language. So in solidity contract is a keyword and is analogous to class in the C-style languages except that it has some other nifty features.

So no matter what, learn solidity. It will be the ethereum back end and all contracts will be written in it. Now at the moment, the only api for interacting with the ethereum block chain that I can find is written in javascript. So they’ve made a javascript library called w3 which spawns an eth object. The eth object communicates with the blockchain. So if you want to write an app, learn HTML, CSS and javascript. It will have to be web based for now. I’m hoping that they’ll expose an api to other back end languages like java and c# later. Hope this helps.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.