My favorite liberty quotes

You must be logged in to create new topics.

My favorite liberty quotes

• Parrish Miller

My favorite liberty quotes are by Robert G. Ingersoll because he eloquently expresses my core belief about liberty — nothing is more important!

“I am a believer in liberty. That is my religion — to give to every other human being every right that I claim for myself, and I grant to every other human being, not the right — because it is his right — but instead of granting I declare that it is his right, to attack every doctrine that I maintain, to answer every argument that I may urge — in other words, he must have absolute freedom of speech.” — Robert G. Ingersoll

“Liberty is the condition of progress. Without Liberty, there remains only barbarism. Without Liberty, there can be no civilization.” — Robert G. Ingersoll

“Take the word Liberty from human speech and all the other words become poor, withered, meaningless sounds — but with that word realized — with that word understood, the world becomes a paradise.” — Robert G. Ingersoll

“The most important thing in this world is liberty. More important than food or clothes — more important than gold or houses or lands — more important than art or science — more important than all religions, is the liberty of man.” — Robert G. Ingersoll

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• B.K. Marcus

I’m a big fan of quote collections. I’ll share some of mine when I can dig them up.

Liberty.me will be publishing a book by Gary Galles this summer called Lines of Liberty, which will be full of them! I expect you’ll like it.

Meanwhile, here’s one of my favorites:

“It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.’ But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.” ~ Murray N. Rothbard

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Max Hill

“Anarchists did not try to carry out genocide against the Armenians in Turkey; they did not deliberately starve millions of Ukrainians; they did not create a system of death camps to kill Jews, gypsies, and Slavs in Europe; they did not fire-bomb scores of large German and Japanese cities and drop nuclear bombs on two of them; they did not carry out a ‘Great Leap Forward’ that killed scores of millions of Chinese; they did not attempt to kill everybody with any appreciable education in Cambodia; they did not launch one aggressive war after another; they did not implement trade sanctions that killed perhaps 500,000 Iraqi children.

In debates between anarchists and statists, the burden of proof clearly should rest on those who place their trust in the state. Anarchy’s mayhem is wholly conjectural; the state’s mayhem is undeniably, factually horrendous.”

-Robert Higgs

Toni Sopocko

This has been a long time favorite of mine.  It’s from Henry Ward Beecher.

“The real democratic American idea is, not that every man shall be on a level with every other man, but that every man shall have liberty to be what God made him, without hindrance.”

B.K. Marcus

That. Is a great one. We’ll have to start building a database of these.

Natalie Fawn Danelishen A.K.A NFD

I will be making these up into pictures as I get them. Just give me a bit of time. 🙂 My favorite is:

If a man drinks wine and not water I cannot say he is acting irrationally. At most I can say that in his place I would not do so. But his pursuit of happiness is his own business, not mine. ~Ludwig von Mises

Justin Pearson

Here are just a handful from my long list of favorites:

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.” — Tacitus

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” — Thomas Jefferson

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government – lest it come to dominate their lives and interests.” — Patrick Henry

“A government at bottom is nothing more than a group of men, and as a practical matter most of them are inferior men…Yet these nonentities, by the intellectual laziness of men in general…are generally obeyed as a matter of duty…[and] assumed to have a kind of wisdom that is superior to ordinary wisdom.” – H.L. Mencken

“There is no good government at all and none possible.” — Mark Twain