Glocks

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Glocks

• Tyler Lloyd

What do you think about Glocks?  Is there another handgun you prefer?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Mike Vroman

I’ve always thought of Glocks as a “love-em or hate-em” pistol. My preference is for the older designs, such as the 1911 or the early Smith and Wessons.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Zachary

A lot of people swear by Glocks, and if their popularity is any measure of their worth, they’re good guns. I happen to prefer Sig and H&Ks, but that’s as much personal preference as anything else. I’ve known Glocks that have held good groups.

Mike Vroman

They’re certainly good, it’s the shape and trigger I don’t prefer. I like the light trigger on the old single action automatics and some of the newer SA/DA’s.

Chip Marce

Theyre a good pistol. Its a matter of preference.  I’m coming to prefer revolvers of late.

Paddy Harrington

Since we’re talking about preferences then no, I don’t particularly like Glocks. I own two of them and they’re decent for what they are, but as Mike said, the grip is definitely a decision point for most. It’s not just the angle, but the size of the thing; I own plenty of double-stacks and the Glock grip it by far the fattest.

The other gripe is the slide finish, which if your hands are at all wet or have a little gun lube on them, good luck working the action.

Big fan of HK’s and their Walther cousins. I also like the Steyr pistols, as they have a unique setup of grip and sights that make them very natural to shoot.

Nate Stover

I carry a Glock, but there are some aspects of other guns that I prefer over Glocks. I do prefer single action triggers such as a 1911 or SA/DA which is cocked. I do prefer the ergonomics of H&K or Walther, and Steyr has some great ideas too.

Advantages of a Glock: They are rugged, reliable, and accurate under any conditions and abuse, with more testing than most other guns. Due to their popularity, it is easy to find all kinds of accessories such as holsters and sights, but there are also many more accessories and customizations created for Glocks than for other guns. I dislike external safeties and decockers, I prefer a gun with only one weight of trigger, and I like the compact nature of polymer double stack handguns. The magazines are also interchangeable and can be used in a number of long guns. The Glock is probably the lowest maintenance gun I have found. I’ve never had any hint of trouble with mine even when I have not cleaned it for extended periods of time.

Take all these factors together, and the Glock is close to the ideal handgun for me. The H&K P7 is probably my favorite handgun as far as design, trigger, and ergonomics, however, they are hard to find. The P7 also meets most of these criteria I have listed. The disadvantage of the P7 compared to the Glock is that it is hard to find accessories, and I prefer the more rugged polymer frame guns. The P7 does also require more maintenance.

Andreas Hoffmann

Since I got issued a Glock (during my military services) and had the chance to test them out a bit I can say this…
    They are high quality and in relation to some others very reliable and solid, almost sturdy. The downside, at least for the military version I got, is that there were no or very little possibilities to customize them for individual preferences. I would assume that if it is your own Glock you will have more options.
    In the end it really is a personal preference. I would say that Glocks definitely get the job done, in most cases with very acceptable results and I might consider a small one (26 maybe) as a backup, but I never really “felt it” when handling them. They always felt just a bit off, still good, maybe a bit generic(?), but not like a glove which is what I would look for. There are many solid, high quality manufacturers out there and I would suggest, if you are really serious, to take your time and go to several stores (with shooting ranges) and shop around. Try a few different guns each time and slowly narrow in on your “perfect” gun. It’s your choice, so make it a competition… Which gun will be lucky enough to go home with you. 😉

Nate Stover

This is great advice.

Objectivist Dad

Nate had some good points, that are even more appropriate from a prepping standpoint. Very reliable, simple to clean and maintain, and the availability of them would mean parts would be easy to come by in almost any situation.

Heard it said that the 1911 is the gun for experts as it requires a lot of maintenance but is worth it in the right hands, whereas the Glock is the gun of the neophyte as it’s simple and forgiving.