Any Fit Pros?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Any Fit Pros?

• Jenni Dietsch

Anyone here in the fitness industry? Are you involved with a commercial chain or an independent or do you run your own business? What, in your opinion, are the advantages for working for yourself over the umbrella of a commercial chain of fitness centers? Let’s share some ideas on how to overcome the commercial chains need to generalize our abilities and build our business based on our own ideas and individual talents. Over the past few years I have watched numerous young new fitness pros enter the industry after spending so much time and energy on their education and certifications, only to discover that the facility they are working for wants things done their way but yet expects them to own and run their business as if it truly was their own. Sadly, I have seen too many get discouraged and chuck it all. Let’s use this opportunity to guide new fitness pros into the ever growing and highly profitable industry where they can motivate, teach and guide people into a healthy lifestyle based on their own experiences and ways of doing things, not on an unattainable goal to make a club as much money as possible in a 30 day period.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Brandon McNaughton

I’ve been a personal trainer for about a year. Most of that has been at a small studio, but I’m looking to get into a bigger gym to gain more experience. Eventually I want to open my own gym, and pretty much do what you mentioned in your post.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Jenni Dietsch

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with Brandon, I started as a trainer in a small privately owned gym, moved into group exercise and eventually into teaching newbies in the industry and running things for the big players. After seeing how things are done commercially I took what I learned and opened my own studio which is currently expanding into PT.

As much as I hate to admit it, the best experience you can get is at a big gym. Dont stay though, just go in to learn and observe ;). That’s my .02 :). Feel free to ask for more if you want it 🙂

Brandon McNaughton

Yea, the studio has been great for building my confidence and such, but the client volume isn’t high. I’m looking forward to building my rep, my base, and my pay.

Jenni Dietsch

Working for a large gym teaches the valuable skill of sales. Unfortunately it doesn’t allow individual talent so you never really get to stand out. I recommend trying it out for a bit. Client volume is extremely high, pay is extremely low but the experience you get and the people you meet are invaluable.