College

You must be logged in to create new topics.

College

• Audra Flammang

Isaac Morehouse wrote a great piece here on L.me about “unbundling” college, and how it is increasingly easier to become self-educated and skilled. Check it out. http://isaacmorehouse.liberty.me/2014/04/19/its-time-to-unbundle-college/?refer=libertyme

I’m curious about how other homeschool/ alt-ed families are preparing for their children’s post high school years. Do you talk to your kids about college? Save for college? Encourage more entrepreneurial endeavors or travel? At this point, I’m doing a little of each of these. I’d love to hear how other parents and kids talk about the future.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Daniel Davis

Well I wanted to be a Doctor. The closest school around was a small 2 year state college. It didn’t offer pre-med so I did nursing, seems logical right? My parents didn’t feel comfortable sending me off to a big University when I was 16. I am very glad this was the case because Doctors work way too many hours. I think that the smaller state colleges tend to actually be a better academic experience. The classes are smaller and more focused. It was a good way to ease the transition period from home school to college.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ethan Glover

Mike Rowe’s Trade Resource Center is a pretty good source for college alternatives. There really should be more programs like the one’s listed, but gov. subsidies tend to obscure demand.

Also, equivalency tests (like the ones listed here) can cut up to two years out of college.

Anyways, I think it’s all up to the kids, give them the options and go through as many details as possible to allow them to make an educated decision.

Adam Sanacore

I’m currently working on a Liberty.me guide for breaking free from the college scam. If individuals are looking for resources, the two best books out there are Hacking your Education by Dale Stephens and The Education Millionaires by Ellesberg.

Audra Flammang

Encouraging.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/25/why-google-doesnt-care-about-college-degrees-in-5-quotes/

Viewing 3 reply threads