History

You must be logged in to create new topics.

History

• Curtis Ownby

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “History is written by the winners” so, I’m sure you can understand the difficulty in teaching history from the Libertarian perspective.

We’re looking for a curriculum or even just some direction on where to get resources on the subject. We are members of Tom Wood’s Liberty Classroom but I think that may be a little beyond our 8 year old’s level.

Any suggestions?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Todd Skelton

I haven’t found a curriculum for kids this age written from a uniquely libertarian perspective.  I tried to just get my kids interested in history and saw it as my role to bring the libertarian perspective to the discussion.

When my kids were early elementary school age, we read Gombrich’s Little History of the World.  Even if I didn’t agree with Gombrich, we loved the book and our discussions about history.

Later they read most of Terry Deary’s Horrible Histories and they loved all the gross stuff they found there.  Those books were terrific conversation starters.

Now, as middle-schoolers, the kids really enjoy  the Crash Course history videos on YouTube.  I must have been doing something right over the years, because now they provide the libertarian critique of the content without any guidance from me.

Hope this helps.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Curtis Ownby

Todd, thanks so much for the reply. We’ve been mulling this for several weeks and I think this gives us a solid start. I agree that the Libertarian mindset must be introduced by the parent. We’ve done this thus far by explaining basic property rights, self ownership etc. It becomes a little bit more complicated when explaining things outside the home but, I find making comparisons with things in the home makes it easier.

I’m really hoping to spark an interest in history early…something that didn’t happen for me until long after I was out of school. I suspect that was largely the way the material was presented.

Thanks again for the suggestions!!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 1 reply thread