Science Curriculum

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Science Curriculum

• Audra Flammang

One of the main reasons I wanted to try homeschooling with my son was what I saw as a lack of any real meaningful science curriculum in elementary school. Even into third grade, the only “science” they really did was centered around environmentalism. My son has shown a strong interest in science from a very early age and seemed to be able to grasp very basic but key scientific  concepts, such as Newton’s Laws of motion (I think many kids could, if given the chance)

We use an online science curriculum called Supercharged Science eScience program. It’s an online program that follows a read, see, experiment format, and my son absolutely loves it. It does have a monthly charge, but it’s by far the best money I’ve spent on curriculum.

It took us a bit of navigating to really get used to the format, but once we got the hang of it, he started gobbling up lessons. They are designed in such a way that students can work up to their level of understanding, and come back to lessons later when they are ready for more challenging content. The lessons are designed for K-8 and 9-12.

If you have a science minded kiddo you’re homeschooling, or even if you don’t homeschool but you want more science for your child, check it out. I think she has a free month trial, too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Daniel Davis

It is true, public school science is terribly behind the times, especially in theoretical physics. If you can’t get enough science, or if you want to experience it in a fun and interesting way, I recommend YouTube. Some great channels to start with are: Vsause, ASAP science, Minute Physics, and the list goes on and on. Get out there and explore, the world is just awesome!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Audra Flammang

thank you! we have looked around some on YouTube some- always glad to know about specific channels

Jared Rice

Smarter Every Day is a good YouTube channel run by a guy Destin in Alabama. Many physics and engineering topics are covered in an exciting way that is sure to inspire the young scientists. I am an astrophysics PhD student and I have learned things I did not know by watching his videos.

Daniel Davis

It is pretty cool to see people on this site such as yourself. How awesome is studying the stars? I love the YouTube science community and I believe I have watched a few videos from Smarter Every Day.

Audra Flammang

thank you!

Audra Flammang

I just went to Smarter Every Day and remembered that we have watched a few, although it’s been a while. The video of why cats always land on their feet was a favorite of his, as I recall 🙂

Jared Rice

I enjoy it enough to make a career out of it 🙂  It is exciting to discover new things for yourself (even if others before you have already figured them out). I’m an anarchist astrophysicist trying to figure out my place in the universe.

Audra Flammang

I tried to get my son to watch Contact with me. Talk about figuring out your place in the universe! That movie makes me weep. He liked the wormhole parts, but I think he’s shaping up to be an atheist so the spiritual parts weren’t as meaningful to him. Maybe later.

Daniel Davis

There is also a Facebook page called “Science alert”. It is a great way to stay up to date on all the latest discoveries

Christopher Levell

A good way to understand the scientific method is to do experiments. We used Janice van Cleave books. There was also an ebook/website from a scientist homeschooler who stressed learning good lab skills (measurement, observation, recording) throughout childhood.

Audra Flammang

thanks- we will definitely give the Janice van Cleave books a try. Experiments are definitely what gets my son most excited about science. that’s been his favorite feature of the online curriculum we use- each lesson has an experiment or activity that demonstrate the principle he’s learning. He also loves the SciShow videos on youtube, although those are really more entertainment than a science lesson.

thanks to everyone for the feedback- so great to network with like-minded parents 🙂

Melissa E

If your kids like Super Charged Science and want more hands on experiments then I strongly suggest buying one of the boxes! We got the Gold level box and are completely happy with it. The curriculum comes with basically everything needed to conduct experiments, a huge guide, cd-roms, as well as full access to the online content.

Viewing 3 reply threads