Classroom Management and Discipline

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Classroom Management and Discipline

• Rebecca Lau

I’m curious if your libertarian views influence how you manage a classroom. Personally I can’t stand disciplining kids – not even telling a kid to be quiet or splitting up two kids that are talking. All my students are really well behaved anyway so thankfully no issues have ever arisen. The problem is that I can’t even imagine what I would do if there was really a situation where a kid was acting out and deserved punishment.  Personally I think it should be up to the parents but I don’t think anyone agrees with me since I’ve been asked that at many job interviews and received no offers. Part of me just wants to say “I think corporal punishment should be allowed in schools” just to see what response I get.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Krisztián Pintér

being a complete outsider, i have no idea, but i think you need to watch this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_the_child_driven_education

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Zain D

It can be very challenging, especially in the later years. It’s very easy to subdue a class of students through threats of violence, but then the teacher has unwittingly changed the objective of the game to crowd control rather than encouraging any meaningful learning to take place.

This problem is further compounded by having large classrooms including students with various special needs, levels of subject comprehension and interest levels. Try teaching a grade 10 mid-band maths class with an equal mixture of “footie boys” (that’s jocks in Australia), drama queens, and, for wont of a better word, mathematically-impaired students.

At the end of the day it simply takes a lot of patience, bargaining and consistency on the part of the teacher. If I had a penny for the amount of times I’ve been “this” close to unleashing the wrath of my own high-school chemistry teacher, I’d be able to afford a reasonably-sized plot in Galt’s Gulch.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.