Teaching Without A Credential

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Teaching Without A Credential

• Rebecca Lau

I have a B.A. in English and I work at an after school program. I’ve been applying for jobs and going to interviews lately and I always lie and say that I want to go back to school and get my masters and teaching credential. Actually I don’t want to do it at all. There are lots of private/alternative/co-op schools in my area and they all say that credential isn’t required (just preferred) but I’m having a difficult time gaining experience. Has anyone here tried to get into teaching without a credential? Any advice?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Cheryl Simpson

I have found that it is next to impossible to teach without a credential (unless you want to homeschool or aide).  Schools, even alternative schools, generally are proud of the fact they can say that all of their teachers are credentialed. And, it is not usually very difficult to find a credentialed teacher (that does not mean they are any good, just that they have the piece of paper).  In our school, even our aides are licensed (Title I, etc).

The question you need to ask yourself is how much are you willing to do in order to teach?  If you really want to teach, you will probably have to get your credential.
      I started helping in my school as a computer mentor, without a credential.  I could help students with online courses (that had a credentialed teacher “teaching”), which means I taught the class, but wasn’t actually a teacher.  I found that I wanted to teach my students, instead of having an online teacher, so I applied for a Class 4B Technical credential, based on my experience.  It was a pain, but I was finally given that credential.  Now, I can teach students computers and computer based skills, but nothing else.

Once I decided that I loved to teach, it was worth it to go back and get my credential to teach math.  Again, a pain, some cost and a lot of BS.  But I finally start my student teaching in the fall. Yes, even with a tech credential, and a full year of teaching, I need to ‘student teach’ before the state will generously grant me permission to teach.  It’s stupid, but it’s the game that must be played to be able to teach.

I wish you lots of luck!!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Zain D

If you are willing and able to teach abroad, you can apply for English teaching jobs all over the world. Most of them simply require a four-year university degree (which you have) and a certificate from either TEFL, TESL or TESOL certificate. The course for either of those is no more than a month (by my recollection) and relatively inexpensive depending on the institution through which you train.

Isaac Morehouse

There are many homeschool networks, courses, and co-ops and you can teach those without any credentials.  Try to find the networks and organizations in your area.

Viewing 2 reply threads