Where do you work?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Where do you work?

• Rebecca Lau

I’ve been looking for a new job for awhile. I’ve interviewed at all sorts of places, from in-home day cares to high schools, public and private schools, high income to low income schools. I was talking to an online libertarian friend and for some reason he was extremely opposed to me getting into teaching….. just because he didn’t like public school does not mean that it is hopeless. Anyway, I digress.

Where do you work? How did you get into it? Does your workplace align with your personal/political philosophy? Does it align with your educational philosophy? How much freedom do you have in the classroom?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Mike Reid

I teach at a university on the side. My workplace aligns with my personal/political way of thinking in that there is an honest search for the truth by many of my colleagues. It does not in that everybody but me and one other anthropologist is a coercive egalitarian of one stripe or another.

I have loads of freedom in the classroom, and then I use it to give my students loads of freedom in terms of what they write about. (But I do make them write a lot.) The result is magic.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 0 reply threads