Evidence-Based Medicine

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Evidence-Based Medicine

• B.K. Marcus

What do you guys think of “Evidence-Based Medicine”?

5 out of 6 doctors agree

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• john hunt

EBM was designed to overcome the downsides of anecdotal medicine, in which a doctor had something “work” for him once and then uses it for the rest of his/her career, even though it was just a fluke… EBM was supposed to be a process to take the best available data and use that knowledge to provide guidance in management of individual patients.  HOWEVER, EBM has been distorted horribly by those infected with the collectivism virus and now EBM has become the de facto optimum “best practices”, in some cases statutory, and other cases effectively statutory, by which doctors damn well better treat all patients exactly the same, following the guidelines written by the experts (who have never seen the patient!) or else the doctor will risk liability, sanctions, Quality Program re-education, and loss of income.  EBM has sadly become a tool of the groupthinkers, who foolishly default, against their own better wisdom, to the notion that patients are like machined parts of a Toyota transmission: all identical and measurable and if falling out of quality metrics or outside of specs, can be shoved back into the right shape by tweaking the machine that manufactures them.  It makes no sense…

Fortunately, there is also patient-focused medicine that is a rational desire to individualize therapy for individual patients and it has a growing number of adherents. Patient-focused medicine is essentially what medical care was and should be, so it should win out, except that the collectivist brain virus is epidemic in our country and turns rationality on its head

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Daniel Davis

Evidence Based Medicine or Evidence Based Practice is extremely emphasized in Nursing school. While I believe science based medical care is best I do see some collectivist thinking frequently used in Nursing curriculum. Mostly it is just ideological bullshit about Nurses being the embodiment of of Altruism and Morality, both of which are lacking in the real world. There is a tendency for EBP to always assume that the patient is dumb, helpless, and child like. This is sometimes true but learning this as an absolute creates a block between the nurse patient relationship. It also emphasizes health care to be a right instead of a valuable service. This is more of a philosophical standpoint than evidence based. Evidence Based Practice can be a good thing. It just has the wrong people in charge.

B.K. Marcus

Daniel, I have to share a line with you from @johnhunt‘s book Assume the Physician:

“I understand male nurses. They get to help people and they don’t have to be a doctor, therefore getting to keep their testicles.”

Daniel Davis

Lol yes it’s true in a way. When I was a teenager I wanted to be a Doctor. In fact I went to a two week youth event called Young Medical Leadership Forum. Mostly it was just a way for my parents to spend money and get brainwashed into becoming a Doctor. I eventually saw how many hours a Doctor has to work and decided to be a nurse instead. Doctors are never truly off work as they have to be on call constantly even on vacation. Being a male nurse is not without its challenges. It is a female dominated workforce and one of the few places where a male worker is a minority. This usually isn’t really a problem but every now and then you run into an older female nurse with older ideas about who should and shouldn’t be a nurse. Another challenge is that many patients (especially women) are not comfortable with a male nurse because of the exposure involved; meaning they are worried about me seeing them naked. It’s funny how they never really care if their Doctor is a male. The reality is that I have probably seen more naked people than that Doctor and I don’t care what you look like under those clothes, it is nothing I haven’t seen before. I get made fun of too but that doesn’t bother me, I usually make more money than people who do that. I will have to write an article about my adventures as a male nurse. I have many stories.

B.K. Marcus

I will have to write an article about my adventures as a male nurse. I have many stories.

Yes, please!

And let us know when you do.