A Veteran Article

You must be logged in to create new topics.

A Veteran Article

Tags:
  • Dan B

Since there are no discussions up, I thought I would start it off. I just posted an article about my experience as a veteran. If you feel like checking it out, let me know what you think. I will probably write some more about veteran’s issues, and would love any feedback or anecdotes you might have.

http://danarchist.liberty.me/2014/04/19/anarchism-through-the-eyes-of-a-veteran/?refer=libertyme

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Max Hill

I just read your article and I feel exactly the same way. It’s very well written. I usually just lie low on veterans day, independence day, and other nationalist holidays to avoid ostracizing myself from good friends I made in the military. I believe that many of them would be among the most ardent defenders of liberty if they truly understood the concept. Too many of our friends have been deceived by nationalism and the indoctrination of military culture. The mantra of “Never leave a fallen comrade” may not apply to anyone as much as it does to those of us who have “woken up.”

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Dan B

Thanks! I totally agree with you. I still have family that post stuff on my wall on Veterans Day. I was my sister’s biggest hero growing up, and she was putting a picture of me in my blues up on her wall every year. I think that was the hardest conversation I’ve ever had about the whole thing. It was pretty awkward.

I’ve slowly been breaking it to my friends over the last several months, and it’s going pretty well. I have a few Marine buddies on my Facebook now that are self-proclaimed libertarians, and several others who seem to be on their way. A lot of them respond positively to stuff I post now. I think it makes it easier that the state as we have known it is failing so badly, and it’s getting harder to hide it.

Anonymous

I have had some inroads with a few of my mates who I served with, but none have taken up the libertarian torch as such. It is a little harder to raise awareness down here in Australia because our constitution is nothing like the US. It’s not taught in schools and most people don’t even know we have one. The steady loss of liberties is a very hard thing to point out to people when they have an economic incentive to go along with it.

Daniel Davis

I really liked the article, thanks for sharing. My time in the Military made me appreciate freedom more than ever. Not because of some patriotic cliches but because of how I felt when the Army took them away. I don’t function well under a lot of rules and regulations. I watched many of my friends change and conform to them. It was amazing to see how they not only started to like it, but they started to love it, for the good of the Army. That was repeated over and over “because it’s the Army”, “because we’re soldiers”. As if the Army was our mother or something. It felt as though everyone was believing in the same lie for the sake of a so called “greater good”. I never understood it and I don’t think I ever will.

Britton Sprouse

Hey guys.  I guess I’m not really a veteran if I’m currently active duty, right?  Well I figure this group was a good place to start anyways.  I’m a LCpl in the Marine Corps, about 20 months into a five year contract.  It’s good to hear from and know servicemembers who support liberty.

It’s my experience that many Marines, like most people in general, are libertarian-natured.  I ask Marines to take the “World’s Smallest Political Quiz” on my phone, and half of them score libertarian.  That’s really good news!  But there’s a minefield of buzzwords and catchphrases that elicit conditioned responses to specific issues.  Foreign policy and patriotism are a few of these among Marines, but not as widespread as one might think.

Max Hill

Of course you’re welcome. I’m the admin, but I don’t plan on doing a whole lot of active admin-ing beyond keeping spam out and dealing with any particularly insufferable trolls that find their way in here. I intended it to just kinda be a place for military-affiliated (military member, veteran, family member, whatever) to talk about whatever. Maybe I should change the “about this group” section to reflect that. I was joking with someone that maybe we should seek out some therapists to hang out in the forum to help us all with our PTSD. 🙂 Maybe this could be the VA clinic in our “city in the cloud.”

Dan B

The technicalities of being a veteran:

• Discharge – Honorable, under honorable conditions, or general
      • Not less than 180 days of active service
      • -OR-
      • Not less than 90 days with 1 or more days in wartime

As I’m not the admin of the group, I can’t speak to the actual requirements. That being said, I don’t think that should preclude any active or prior service military from engaging. After all, if our goal is liberty, liberty-minded veterans engaging with active duty and prior service members who are not technically veterans would be great. That being said, I would caution any active, reserve, or inactive reserve members to be careful that you don’t say anything to get yourselves in trouble. Not that there is a high likelihood that your command will come across this…but just in case.

If you don’t mine me asking, what is your MOS, Britton? I was an 0331 (machine gunner).

Daniel Davis

I don’t think the admin will mind. I can’t speak for him but before I joined this group I asked him if he would care that my service time was only ten months (PT failure). He said it was fine (come on over dude).

Viewing 5 reply threads