I love you because…

You must be logged in to create new topics.

I love you because…

• Zain D

The idea of love has always been a concept to which my thoughts have returned over the years. I always had a vague idea of what it meant to me but it wasn’t before I read what Ayn Rand wrote on the subject that my own concepts were given a concrete form. I quote:

[Love is] the emotional price paid by one man for the joy he receives from the virtues of another

It has always been a challenge to explain this to other individuals with a more common understanding of the term. To them, love is merely something you “feel” and don’t think too hard about. It certainly doesn’t help matters that the word is frequently used to describe feelings about everything from “chocolate” to “the way this dress makes my boobs look.”

Nowadays, whenever someone tells me that they “love” me, my first reaction is to ask them “why?”. Unless a person can point to specific virtues of mine that are worthy of trading for love I can’t take their words seriously.

I shared this point of view (sometimes more articulately than others) to all my various lovers and they all had trouble accepting it for one reason or another. But I observe their current situations and they are simply repeating the same destructive patterns… falling in “love”, being disappointed when it doesn’t work out, and never questioning why.

At the end of the day, it all stems from a lack of self-awareness and self-esteem… because after all, in order to say “I love you” one must first learn how to say the “I”.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Malcolm Heights

Love is intimacy. It is a state of being where both partners share their mutual interests, are conjoined yet independent to be themselves. Where love is not just spoken about but experienced in their everyday lives.

A child who sees the intimacy of parents is a happy child.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Bart Vandalay

Yeah Zain, your post reminds me of something I’ve heard Stefan Molynuex talk about many times. He defines love as an involuntary reaction you have to virtue.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.