Why are you excited about MaidSafe?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Why are you excited about MaidSafe?

• Francis Brunelle

I want an anonymous peer-to-peer network where every book, movie, tv show, song, game, app, etc. is available to download and share without DRM. The only cost should be to pay people (with an anonymous crypto-currency) who provide resources (bandwidth, disk space, etc.) to the network. The network should have an API that allows the creation of applications (Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Soundcloud, Wikipedia, Google, etc.) and lets users create an account and login.

MaidSafe seems to be the best system for that at the moment and it’s close to a beta launch (Q4 2014).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Daniel Shafrir

I think there aren’t that many people excited about MaidSafe because there aren’t that many people who know about MaidSafe. It’s hard to have found out about it and remain calm.

I’m excited about it because it’s recreating the internet as it should have been to begin with. It’s kind of like altcoins that build in total privacy/anonymity or some other concept one wishes Bitcoin had.

The only thing I wish, though, is that the network effect of the internet doesn’t completely obliterate MaidSafe’s chances of succeeding. It’s absolutely crucial for MaidSafe that people/companies/content providers/etc join. The more people join, the more it becomes useful, and therefore the more others join (and so on and so forth). But if people stick to what they know and don’t feel the burning desire to move to a different platform (because the current one is “good enough”), no matter how genius MaidSafe is, it won’t get off the ground. But who knows, maybe this will be an underground internet for a specific type of people and will be the place people go to for privacy, security and truth.

I’m excited to see how this will pan out!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Bart Vandalay

“I think there aren’t that many people excited about MaidSafe because there aren’t that many people who know about MaidSafe.”

I think you’re right Daniel. I also think that the approach that Maidsafe is taking is so radically different than anything else that I don’t feel that people are understanding it’s profound potential. Especially because they are still so busy trying to understand blockchain technology and bitcoin. But the Safe Network is server-less and Safecoin is blockchain-less so comparing it to bitcoin, TOR, Freenet, altcoins, bittorent, ethereum, mesh networks, etc. only gets you so far before the comparisons fall apart. So I think people are just shrugging their shoulders and thinking “yeah, yeah, yeah, another vaguely interesting bitcoin 2.0 project.” but not really making any effort to further understand it. I think that will change quickly after the network launches and IF it proves itself. Admittedly, that’s a big “IF”.

Dave Burns

7 million dollars worth of excitement is pretty good for a project that hasn’t really released anything. I would love for maidsafe to fulfill all it’s hopes. But I have some questions, maybe based on my misconceptions.

Safecoin prevents double spending without a blockchain/public ledger. How does that work?

What sort of security audit will it go through?

Implications of the announced NY bit license for maidsafe?

I could probably get answers somewhere, but I’m too lazy.

Bart Vandalay

It’s impossible to pick just one, but my short answer to the title of this thread is the obvious one; Privacy! Privacy for wistleblowers. Privacy for Afgani women who will be able to be in charge of their own finances for once. Privacy for markets. Privacy for everyone’s communications and the world’s data. The list is endless….

Alva Cottingham

I’m hopeful, but not excited anymore. The need for a client download was not the best decision in my opinion. I think that will artificially constrain the size of the network. Regardless, once they get the Java api implemented I’ll be actually excited again.

Dave Burns

I have a prejudice against Java, am I an old fuddy duddy?

Chip Marce

Well, I guess I might be excited if I knew what it was and what the possible implications of it were.  Oh and why it’s better than what already exists. Sounds like a parallel internet to me.

Dave Burns

Internet 2.0, with the security bugs removed and a better economic model.

Chip Marce

Thanks for the reply. So how is maid safe a better economic model?  From the perspective of an individual user whose net access costs are equal to their cable bill, why would they much care?

Dave Burns

The current business model of cloud services is user pays nothing for cloud storage and other resources, but the resource provider profits by spying on users, selling their info. Maidsafe wants to change this to “provide resources = get paid for them, use resources = pay for them.” This allows them to encrypt and disperse people’s info, so that it can’t be gathered surreptitiously. No more tracking or ad insertion, except by opt-in.
        Some people like that idea.

Bart Vandalay

Hey Chip. It’s a lot to get your head around. This short animated explainer video is the best place to start to start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdGH40oUVDY

Francis Brunelle

Just letting everyone know that I’ve started a new group called “The End of Intellectual Property”. I’d like to organize a group of people who want to accelerate the end of IP via technology.

I think the MaidSafe network would make that possible. We would just have to fork it and remove the code that automatically rewards developers based on the number of GET requests people make using their apps and the code (that part is not even designed yet) that automatically rewards artists.

I’ve started a topic on MaidSafe here: http://liberty.me/groups/the-end-of-intellectual-property/forum/topic/maidsafe-2/.

Viewing 5 reply threads