What are you upcoming outdoor trips this year?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

What are you upcoming outdoor trips this year?

• Richard Masta

It’s sprung spring finally and it’s almost another summer. Two weeks ago I drove up to N. Conway NH to check out the last of the skiiers in the shadows of the White Mtns and this weekend I watched spruce tips and scarlet oak leaves bud on Walden Pond in Concord, Mass. Next weekend, I’m camping at Blueberry Crossing up in the White Mtns. My gal and I are going to hike Mt. Hale the next day. I’m making it a point to get out and forage more. Lily pads, cowslip, ramps, purslane: you’re all on my list, so lookout! I’m going to hike the Bondcliffs in the White Mtns, which don’t offer views, according to the trail book, they “command” the most wild views of the mountains than any in the region. This is because they are completely isolated from roadside trails and touristy things. I’m also making it my goal to sleep at least 37 nights in my tent this year, just about everywhere. I want to try this. I might just go pitch it in the Rec Trail behind my house and see what happens. Nine of those nights in a tent will be at Porcfest in northern New Hampshire! If you haven’t been to this then go to porcfest.com or read my articles from last summer on my wild ride! site. It is the greatest summertime adventure gathering of libertarians of all time. I’ll be at one of the sites #50. there will be a coffee pot and a tent and me writing in a moleskine and probably a bunch of guns too, if I know my bunkmate @adamhoisington well.

What’s on your itinerary this season, explorers?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Richard Masta

Killer! I’d love to see a photo when you return if you don’t mind. I’ve always thought Australia to be beautiful and appealing…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Chase

I do not have enough money or time right now to get too far from my home in WV. I will probably head down to the New River Gorge with my wife a couple times this summer. I have a new climbing rope that I have yet to put to the test. Fayetteville has the added benefit of Pies & Pints, a great little restaurant with unique pizza and delicious craft beer.

Richard Masta

Chase, it’s my firm belief that the best, most unexpected adventures can often be right in our own backyards!

Ken Jons-un

speaking of your backyard… my wife and I were discussing a stop near Providence to camp and then visit out to the Cape area and Boston for a few days before making it to Porcfest on Wednesday. I’d like to spend a bit at Walden since it is on the way but do you have recommendations for Must-See / Must-Do things anywhere between Providence and Portland? Seaside things, historic points, scenic vistas, off beat hidden gems, interesting half day hikes? If you had only 3 days what would you go do.

• Richard Masta

If you and your wife are into old famouspeople houses and if she (or you) likes Little Women check out the Orchard House in Concord, ma. It’s where the Alcotts lived; alot of people geek out about that book. Also rte 1-A from Hampton Beach to Portsmouth is a great seaside drive but you might be bored after visiting the cape. It’s nice and upclose with the ocean. Do check out Portsmouth, NH on the way if you like those hip little harbor towns with nice restaurants and people watching. It’s a little less hectic than Portland, but similar vibes. Once you’re in Maine, I really can’t think of anything up to Portland. Just tolls.

Roger Browne

I’m spending a week in the north island of New Zealand, before heading back to Sydney. All I’ve done so far is to scramble up Castle Rock in the Coromandel Peninsular, which was very satisfying. I was going to climb Putauaki (near Kawerau) which is privately owned but it turns out that the owners won’t let people go onto it except in a group.

So, on towards Ruapehu. If anyone is around here and wants to go up to the crater lake, or to the top of Ngauruhoe, or to do the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, feel free to get in touch.

Rick Rule

Just back from hiking Queen Charlotte Sound, and The Banks Peninsula on the south island of New Zealand. Worthwhile for anyone with the time and inclination. Also Kayaked in Abel Tasman.

Greg Howick

This winter I did a week ice fishing trip in North Dakota. Driving on the ice was late this year due to warm weather, so I hiked all all my gear on foot. Mobility was limited but I still caught lots of a perch and a few pike which I pickled.

This year I am pushing to do a wilderness fly fishing trip in either Glacier Park, MT or the Beartooth Plateau. It will involve a bit of hiking but there will be nobody else around, including criminals with badges.

Rick Rule

I just returned from two weeks on the northern part of the south island in New Zealand.

Hiked Queen Charlotte sound, and the Banks Peninsula. Kayaked Abel Tasman.

All superb

Mike Reid

That sounds amazing!

Daniel Seelhorst

oops

Daniel Seelhorst

My wife and I have gone on a lot of good local (middle Tennessee) day hikes including Savage Gulf, to which we plan to make a couple more trips this year. We plan to take many more hikes around the mid south this year and at least one over night hiking trip. My wife is going to show me her old stomping grounds in Hawaii, which will involve snorkeling, surfing, collecting shell fish, and lots of bumming around. We often take our dog Yeti with us but not to Hawaii). If you recognize her (or me, she is more memorable though) feel free to say hello. Yeti in the snow.

I also hunt, and this year I plan to go on a few turkey hunts, a handful of squirrel hunts, many deer hunts, one multi-day deer & hog archery hunt, and I’m planning to go on a guided bear hunt with dogs, which will be a totally new experience as I’ve never hunted over dogs. Though I have hunted bear on the ground before (unsuccessfully) and it’s quite exciting

Roger Browne

Heading off in a couple of hours to hike the Budawang Ranges, an amazing tesselated mountain range south of Sydney:

Richard Masta

I’m visiting San Francisco and Lake Tahoe in May. Any tips or suggestions that aren’t tourist cruises or collecting giant pine cones on the side of the road? I look forward to slipping away from my party at least once or twice to explore the back streets and winding trails, if possible, and knowing a coffee shop or cool book store to explore would be the best. if there’s any hiking at tahoe, too, that would rule, as most mtns around where I’m staying look like ski resorts.

Anonymous

Went out on the lake at Te Anau, South Island New Zealand. Was -1 degrees Celsius. Beautiful scenery, very touristy town except dead quiet during winter.

Matt Phillips

Open Invitation:

Heading to Grand Teton in a couple of weeks for 4-5 days in the backcountry. So far it’s just two of us going, but there’s room in the minivan for at least three more. We’re both friendly libertarians, and more company would be more fun, and safer (safety in numbers in grizzly country.)

We’ll be leaving the Chicagoland area either Sunday afternoon/evening, or Monday morning on the 17th or 18th of July (2016). Your only expense would be your share of the gas, and the food you need to eat while on the road and in the backcountry. You can park in my driveway the entire time we’re away, or take Chicago’s commuter rail system to my house.

If you have the time, the appropriate gear, and the spirit of adventure, please speak up! The Tetons offer some of THE best mountain scenery in the entire country. Do a Google image search if you need inspiration, or the final push to make up your mind.

As Arnold would say, “DO IT! DO IT NOW!”

Matt Anderson

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t0n2o00yrqpp1h/IMG_4508.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d3e2svl2x1w5kl/Deer%20Valley.jpg?dl=0

Pictures from my recent ski vacation to Park City, Utah. Pretty country up there. These pictures were taken on the slopes of Deer Valley.