Intermittent Fasting

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Intermittent Fasting

• Jon Kalb

Once you get off the blood sugar roller coaster, you can try experimenting with intermittent fasting.

Other than the health advantage is the side advantage of realizing that the world doesn’t end if/when you skip a meal or two. If you find that you aren’t able to eat healthy, one option is to not eat at all.

I’ve routinely gone for twenty-some hours without eating (I drink hot tea or a hot drink make from ground cocoa beans with no sugar or protein) and this is on days with an intense work out.

My hands tend to get cold and I’m well aware that I’ve not eaten, but I’m not overwhelmed with hunger (because I don’t have a falling blood sugar level) and I can concentrate and function at work.

I would never recommend this to someone that wasn’t on a low carb diet, but it is worth exploring once you control carbs and therefore stabilize your blood sugar.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Richard Masta

I try to IF at least one day a week for 20-24 hours (I typically go from 7pm until 5pm or so the next day). I always feel insanely awesome by the time I get home. In fact, I often am not very hungry when I do eat and feel full after. I always feel lucid and energetic, especially as the day goes on, but I agree with what you said: you have to already eat a high fat diet.

It’s real fun eating so much fat in what is often my only meal of the day and watching people’s eyes pop out. Then they wonder why I hardly eat compared to them. Instead of a “high-fat diet,” though, I describe it as “nutrient-dense” so that I may not appear too weird…

I’ve been thinking of going full-out ketogenic for a while as an experiment, because I know I do best in that situation. I’m thinking essetially zero carbs per day with less than 100g protein, and lots of fat. One day a week, however, I will skip out on protein and eat a few carbs — if I eat at all! This will kick in autophagy and clean the system out, as well as help the metabolism stay sharp.

Keep us posted on your IF experiments!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Primal Anarchy (Mike)

To get the best level of keto you have to have a pretty low protein content also, because protein can convert to glucose via gluconegenisis. That messed my up years ago on keto and couldn’t figure out why I stopped losing fat. Too much protein.

A pretty easy inexpensive read on keto cycling right now is http://www.body.io and the ebook carbnite solution. He shares much of his information free via his webpage and podcasts but has it nicely packed up into a book.

Anonymous

I definitely second IF. If you are the type to easily eat excess calories in a day IF provides a good window to feed in order to keep yourself in check. It’s hard to eat more than 2500 to 3000 calories in a 4 hour eating window (unless of course you eat an entire pizza and pint of B&J, of course I wouldn’t know from experience, heh).

I’ll do strength training sometimes 8 to 14 hours into my fast, on occasion I might need to take a moment to recover from some light-headedness but overall not too bad. A cup or two of black coffee or a caffeine pill can get you going before the gym without triggering a calorie bump to knock you out of the fast like preworkout supps.

Keeping carbs low in relation to lots of fat and protein is one of the best things I’ve ever done to my diet. I wish more people looked into IF and keto/paleo eating.

Jeffrey Tucker

I’m all about this too. At least once I week, I eat only a cracker or two and that’s it. I love it. I sense that it keeps me from developing a weird dependency on unnecessary eating, and it just makes me feel better all around. Oh and I usually have a glass of wine or two on these days.

It’s been the best method for weight control I’ve ever tried. Once you do this, the rest of your week seems more reasonable.

Primal Anarchy (Mike)

Their is alot of sound evidence that routine fasting can is actually part of how are bodys are designed to work. feast famine cycle.

I was listening to podcast the other day. sorry can’t remember which one I listen to so many, likely Rob Wolf and the interviewed guest recommended 7 days a month. But it very hard and their research shows that breaking that up in 2-3 day groupings has nearly all the same markers of benefit.

I haven’t been able to ever do a total fast void of nothing but water. I have done fasting with bone broths and some butter and coconut oils. 3 days is tough but I see one on horizon. I am a grappler so the low fuel consumption can be very problematic if window is extended too far.

I here is some information from Dr. John Berardi. He tested different models of fasting and how the test person, himself responded to them. The site has been updated so I am not sure if he has added more information on the topic lately. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Anonymous

I’ll have to check that site out, thanks for sharing!

David Montgomery

Five days is the longest I’ve gone, and it wasn’t that big of a deal. I found that after the third day I had a mild sense of euphoria, which was a welcome surprise. The main thing is to not do exercise during an extended fast. By exercise, I mean both aerobic or anaerobic exertion. You’ll probably feel great and be tempted, but in my experience fasting should be treated as a recovery and rebuilding phase. Great time for meditation too.

Tips for those who want to try multi-day fasts:

– You’ll get cold more easily. That’s normal. A warm bath with epsom salts feels great.

– As mentioned before, don’t exercise. A stroll is fine, but make this a time to relax.

– You’ll probably wake up earlier than normal, as you get extra energy from not having to deal with digestion. That’s normal but take a nap if your sleep window gets shortened.

– You’ll get occasional bouts of hunger. They don’t last, and your body will switch to fat burning when it figures out food’s not coming. The key to getting past the bouts of hunger is distraction. Movies, TV shows and video games are fantastic for this.

– Come out of a multi-day fast *slowly*. Don’t break your fast with a feast or you’ll likely regret it. Make the first meal simple and small. Some soup and a bit of rice, for example.

If the idea of a multi-day water-only fast is daunting, try it first with broth, tea and veggie juice. Make the veggie juice low sugar, like cucumber and celery (as opposed to beet and carrot).

PG (Pierre-Guy) Veer

I do it once a week, eating nothing but a normal supper on Saturday (so nothing beginning after supper Friday). To help cope with the hunger, I drink a lot of water