Loading .38 shot shells

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Loading .38 shot shells

• Dick Clark

One of my little brothers is an adventurer, and he is planning a 600 mile kayaking trek in Alabama in late spring and early summer of this year. He decided that he wanted to get some snake shot for his Ruger LCR to use while he is on the river. (I already warned him that it would be unsuitable for defense use against two-legged critters.)

After looking around, it seems like the only such ammo on the market, from CCI, just isn’t around. Every website that lists it has it as out of stock. My brother called CCI and they said they basically only produce it when they get a big order from a distributor, and they haven’t made any in a while.

I reload anyway, so I bought some .38/.357 reloading dies (Lee Deluxe), some once-fired .38 hulls, pistol powder (Hodgdon Titegroup) and primers (Winchester Small Pistol), and some shot capsules produced by Speer in .38 caliber. I filled the capsules with #8 shot I got from emptying some cheap shotgun shells. Four 2 3/4″ 12 gauge shells loaded with #8 provided enough shot to fill twenty of the Speer capsules. Each capsule loaded with shot and plugged with a plastic wad weighs ~103 grains. I loaded it on top of ~3.0gr of Titegroup to an overall length of 1.500″.

I haven’t done any test-firing yet.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Dick Clark

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Mike Vroman

Interesting. I may have to try that myself come summer.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewing 1 reply thread