Muse

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Muse

• Robert Nathan
    Ideation

How do you facilitate a freely flowing source of ideas in your daily life?

Do you have a muse? Is it a person, place or thing? What do you do when you are in a creative slump? How do you evade the bump when on a dry road of problem solving?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Toni Sopocko

I phone my bff in Alaska.  Or mail her a funny gift.  Or send a picture or message by email.  Somehow, just the act of reaching out to her improves the world.  She’s magic.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Jason Miller

Hello,

I am a newbie to liberty.me (joined 3 days ago).  So, I hope this post is still active.  Any who….I actually joined because I wanted to be around like-minded-liberty-loving individuals and to spark my ‘creativity’.  I love to write on libertarian topics and am in the process of developing a website or blog applying libertarian principles to Indian Country, i.e. Native Americans, so seeing things from a different perspective is important to me.  And I know that interaction is for me, for anyone really, one of the best ways to get the creative juices flowing.  Interaction, sharing of ideas, critiquing of ideas, learning how to communicate exactly what you want to say is an art and science that needs ‘creativity’ every step of the way.

Well, for me, if I’m in a creative slump I’ll read a book on a subject that is out of the ordinary for me.  For instance, I love reading economics and philosophy, but, if I get in a creative slump I read something different for inspiration.  I’ve read books on engineering disasters to bareknuckle fighting.  Sometimes, its a word, sentence, idea, or new way of looking at the world gleaned from reading an out of the ordinary book that may take a life of its own.  This new idea may pop up in a conversation or bubble up a year later and create a new synthesis.  Who knows?

If that doesn’t work, then sometimes I’ll pick up a guitar and play and old song or learn something learn.  Music can change your mood by bypassing an overactive hyper-rational mindset and give you a creative spark.  Sometimes, for me, just plain relaxing and enjoying a good movie does the trick to resupply the well of imagination.

Thanks

Robert Nathan

Jason,

I’m glad you stumbled onto this forum. I try to regularly post articles about creative thinking here, and I’m sure that you can find some that will help you along your path. If you would like, I can probably come up with some titles on the subject of creative thinking. Here is one that I will always keep in my library:

http://www.amazon.com/Crisp-Universal-Traveler-Don-Koberg/dp/1560526793/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416091174&sr=8-1&keywords=universal+traveler