Cocktail Hour

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Cocktail Hour

• B.K. Marcus

What do you think of making our virtual cocktail hour a little less virtual?

I was on the road for last week’s Bookworm Hangout, so I was sipping espressos late into the evening to pay for my coffeehouse wifi access. But some of my fellow worms were tippling while talking about texts.

Makes sense. Jeffrey Tucker has been seen to sip a glass of wine while in his Liberty.me U sessions on the classics of liberty. In vino veritas, as the classicists say at Harvard. (For evidence that we’re not alone in our bookish imbibing, see this thread at LibraryThing.)

And we do say about this event, “Think of this hangout less as a book club and more as a cocktail party among book lovers. (But BYOB!)”

Why has it never occurred to me to take the “BYOB” more seriously?

So I welcome bookworms old and new to bring their favorite cocktails (or shots or brews, etc.) to the next Bookworm Hangout, Wednesday night at 8 Eastern.

In fact, one among us last week was smoking what looked like a quality cigar. It’s perfect: no second-hand smoke.

Bring whatever vice you like. As Lysander Spooner emphasized, “Vices Are Not Crimes.” We can honor our tradition while indulging our favorite individual (and individualist) habits.

If you can’t make it this Wednesday night (or even if you can), tell us your favorite drinks/smokes/vices in the comments to this thread. Let’s get to know each other better.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• B.K. Marcus

I’ll start: single-malt whisky (spelled the Scottish way, “whisky” without the ‘e’).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

J.S. Diedrich

I haven’t decided what I’m going to bring yet, but I’ll definitely be bringing something! Top contenders include the rye manhattan, dirty gin martini, and negroni.

Robert Uhls

Haha, I need to make my way to the LCBO (Socialized Liquor Sales). I’ll think of something to drink.

Cameron M. Belt

This week I will be joining in with either a St. George’s Gin Martini or Glenlivet 18 up.  Staying classic and classy.

Michael Magan

Hmm. I have been quite fond of the Belt Flask Gin lately. There is nothing more classy.

• J.S. Diedrich

Michael! Come to the Bookworms Hangout!

• Michael Magan

I shall!

• Sean Ridlon

Jim Beam Black; rocks. I feel like such a hayseed compared to you folks but I like single malt so I’m not totally uncultured!

• B.K. Marcus

You could do much worse than Jim Beam or Jack Daniels — and I have. My rule used to be this for single-malt whisky: first shot should be the best stuff. After that you can’t fully appreciate the taste anyway, so you might as well switch to something else. For me that was often Jim Beam.

• John Jones

I gotta admit that I almost always have a glass of red wine off camera when in a Bookworm session. I won’t hide it anymore.

Wine was becoming very popular nationwide when I was out of college in the 90’s so I have been through the entire wine connoisseur spectrum. I have now reached the wine maturity level which allows me to unashamedly drink wine packaged in a plastic bag and promoted by a surrounding box.

Some of these wines suck, but the good ones are amazing values if you are a frequent wine drinker. The quantitiy of good grape juice produced these days is amazing. Really no need to pay big dollars for wine except maybe on special occasions. I have even played a harmless trick on friends and poured a portion of a good box wine into a $30 wine bottle with no one ever noticing and typically complimenting the vintage.

• B.K. Marcus

I remember the boxed red wine at Whole Foods being surprisingly good.

• J.S. Diedrich

Hey Bookworms! I’ll be guest hosting the Bookworm Hangout this week. As always, the hangout will be Wednesday evening at 8pm ET at bookworms.liberty.me.

Let’s continue with BK’s Cocktail Hour theme–everyone join with your favorite drink. In the spirit of libations, here’s a thought for a Wednesday night discussion: What are your favorite book-ish vices? What vices of fictional characters have you found the most memorable? What vices of famous authors make you squirm? And so on…

• B.K. Marcus

(1) What are your favorite book-ish vices?

Is it a vice to soak in a hot tub while reading a book? If not, then how about sipping whiskey in a hot tub while reading a book?

(2) What vices of fictional characters have you found the most memorable?

I won’t go into details, but they’re in the book Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. (Differently memorable vices in the movie version of the book.)

(3) What vices of famous authors make you squirm?

This is a really interesting question!

Dashiell Hammett was a Communist and a drunk, both vices.

But I could never sense his politics in his detective novels, not even in Red Harvest, where they are supposedly evident. His alcoholism is on display in his last novel, The Thin Man, which he sobered up for two weeks to write. He had Nathaniel West lock him in a hotel room without alcohol for two weeks and Hammett banged it out so he could make good on a book contract whose advance he’d already spent. The detective, Nick Charles, spends much of the novel drinking or talking about drinking, or talking about his inability to relax and have a drink because he’s been roped into solving a murder mystery. The parallels to Hammett were painfully clear. But the novel is genius. Instead of squirming, I’m just in awe of Hammett’s talent. See the movie version. I couldn’t stop laughing.

In contrast is Robert A. Heinlein, whose libertarianism is well on display in his later novels. Heinlein’s vice was putting his beliefs on display in works of supposed fiction, having enlightened characters lecture each other on their enlightened views. Ayn Rand did this too.

No matter how much I may agree with them, indulging their desire to speechify through their characters is a vice that makes me squirm.

Frank Marcopolos

I’ll be doing either Hendrick’s gin (and juice) or a nice Zinfandel.

John Jones

Disregard

Toni Sopocko

Sounds fun!  I keep trying to make it, but my work is odd-hours.  If I can be there, I’ll have a dirty (gin) martini in hand.

Rick Rule

Bommie and I had a bottle of ” Kirkland” ( Costco) champagne ( $20 ) last night. Excellent for the price.

John Jones

A while back I watched a documentary type show (probably one of those CNBC company profiles) on Costco and it had a section on the head wine buyer and the overall Costco approach. Very interesting, not surprised the Kirkland brand was impressive.

B.K. Marcus

Speaking of documentary type shows, has anyone ever seen the show Raising the Bar?

It was a short reality series sponsored by George Dickel Whiskey. Different teams competed to build from scratch “the ultimate bar” in 8 hours and serve shots of the sponsor’s intoxicant.

I blog about it here: http://bkmarcus.com/2013/03/26/life-lessons-from-boozy-bots/

John Jones

Love it BK!!