The Literature of the Whisky Rebellion

You must be logged in to create new topics.

The Literature of the Whisky Rebellion

• B.K. Marcus

Last night in the Bookworm Hangout, Matt (@mattgilliland) was describing to us the plot of The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith, about an alternate history in which the Whiskey Rebellion succeeded and the result was a far more libertarian America. (Murray Rothbard argued that it did succeed, by the way.)

I didn’t realize at the time that we were reviewing the history of the rebellion on the eve of its anniversary. On this day in 1794, the Whiskey Rebellion broke out in Pennsylvania.

Here are some other books we mentioned on the general subject:

The Whiskey Rebellion: Frontier Epilogue to the American Revolution by Thomas P. Slaughter

The Whiskey Rebellion: George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and the Frontier Rebels Who Challenged America’s Newfound Sovereignty by William Hogeland

The Whiskey Rebels is a historical novel by David Liss, author of a couple of other historical novels on topics of great interest to libertarians:

A Conspiracy of Paper (a murder mystery that takes place during “the beginnings of a strange new economic order based on stock speculation”) and The Coffee Trader (a prequel of sorts that takes place in Amsterdam in the world’s first commodities exchange). What becomes clear in The Whiskey Rebels is that Liss is much more of a Hamiltonian than a Jeffersonian, but he is a compelling writer of suspense and an intelligent observer of crucial moments in cultural and financial history.

Not on the subject of the Whiskey Rebellion, but also mentioned last night because of its important historical ties to that event is Shays’s Rebellion: The American Revolution’s Final Battle by Leonard L. Richards.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Toni Sopocko

Sorry I missed it.  Family visiting.  I’ll try to pop in next week!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

B.K. Marcus

Look forward to seeing you, Toni. Got any favorite historical novels?

Toni Sopocko

Well, I think the one that set me off on that path was, “Across Five Aprils” when I was 9 or 10.  About the Civil War.  It’s a YA book.

Right now I’m just starting “The 19th Wife”.  Haven’t had much time to read lately, so barely starting, but it appears to be a mix of historical fiction (Mormon history) and a who-dunnit.  I’m liking it.

B.K. Marcus

The topic of Mormon historical fiction leads me to ask: Have you read any Orson Scott Card? (And have I already asked you that?)

Card is best known for his science fiction, including some Mormon science fiction, but he has also written some non-science-fiction Mormon historical novels.

Toni Sopocko

No, I haven’t.  Haven’t heard of him, since I’m not really a SciFi buff.  I’ll have to check him out.  This is the first ‘Mormon fiction’ I’ve read, so not really well informed.  Never knew much about them, even though there is a sizable Mormon population in Hawaii, where I grew up.

B.K. Marcus

The topic of Mormon historical fiction leads me to ask: Have you read any Orson Scott Card? (And have I already asked you that?)

Card is best known for his science fiction, including some Mormon science fiction, but he has also written some non-science-fiction Mormon historical novels.

Viewing 3 reply threads