Writing on War

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Writing on War

• David Miller

Is the only good war story an anti-war story? Many of my favorite books about war are books that can be interpreted as anti-war books. Bring your favorite war stories to our discussion in the Bookworm Hangout: http://liberty.me/bookworm-hangout/ at 8 PM ET.

Soldier silhouette

WW 1 soldiers on the march.

Books I’m likely to bring up: The Iliad; The Things They Carried; A Lake in the Woods; Farewell to Arms; and All quiet on the Western Front. Feel free to add to this title list with your own selections.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• B.K. Marcus

I read the Iliad because I thought I really ought to read Homer, and I figured I should know the Iliad before I tackled the Odyssey. I didn’t expect to prefer the war story to the tale of the wanderer. And I never expected for the Iliad to become my favorite book.

At that point I started reading about Homer and the Homeric works.

I really enjoyed Caroline Alexander’s book The War That Killed Achilles: The True Story of Homer’s Iliad and the Trojan War, which argues that the Iliad is, in fact, an antiwar story. But I love the Iliad even if she’s wrong.

I mostly prefer war in my nonfiction. Theory, not history. Specifically, I’ve been enjoying reading Bevin Alexander.

See you at the hangout tonight!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Mike Reid

BK got me into the Iliad. But I found the killing so plentiful that it became dizzying (perhaps that’s what war is really like).

I also read and enjoyed books 1 and 2 of the Hunger Games. I merely read book 3. Book 3 is where the war is at.
        The author, Suzanne Collins, has explained, “I don’t write about adolescence. I write about war. For adolescents.” Sadly, when she gets directly into the war in book 3, she seemed to lose her footing.

B.K. Marcus

I don’t think this book counts, but Frank got me reading The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.

Frank Marcopolos

Yes, it counts! Artists are warriors fighting the scourge of the blank page/canvas! haha I find Salinger’s WW2 stories amazing, but I’m a huge Salinger fan, so that’s no surprise. Many of them could be considered anti-war. (“For Esme-with Love and Squalor,” being the most famous, of course.)

Toni Sopocko

On my list of books TO READ is, Johnny Got His Gun. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get through it, but I want to try. I understand it’s horrendous.

Viewing 2 reply threads