What kind of razor do you use?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

What kind of razor do you use?

• Zack Yoscovits

I was wondering what sort of razor everyone uses?  Electric, cartridge, safety, straight, or just a beard trimmer?

Personally I like an old fashioned safety razor (Merkur long handled safety razor # 180), with feather blades.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• William Hughes

I used a straight razor, brush and shaving soap for 6 or so years. Then I was just buzzing it with a pair of clippers once a week for the last 2 years. Now, I haven’t shaved at all since some time in January. It’s about 1 1/2″ long right now. I never could go back to a disposable razor after using the straight.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Jared Rice

Here is my shaving story. I hope it is on topic.

Ritualistic shaving was an irritating part of my life. I would handle my Gillette Mach 3 with precision; three blades they said. Three blades! THREE BLADES. They would glide over my face, leaving nothing but pure baby-faced attracting looks that were guaranteed to make my mother happy. Or so I was told. Annoyed by temporal constraints I would often rush through shaving, invariably leaving bloody trails across my neck. Unattractive, irritating.

I read Jeffrey Tucker’s article on the shaving cream racket: http://mises.org/daily/4043/. I stopped using cream and my face seemed a bit happier and toughened up. I was unsatisfied still. Why should I spend (waste?) my hard-earned money on razors that lasted a few shaves? I stropped my blades to keep them straight, but I still needed to shop for blades when I ran out. I was a poor student and those blade packs were ridiculous!

I moved to Montana for graduate school. As a California native displaced northward, I learned to protect myself from the cold. During my second Montana winter I visited http://www.beards.org/ in search of beard advice. I stopped shaving. The beard grew. I trimmed it with scissors, clippers, and still shaved my neck to keep the beard tight. The beard was beautiful. I would take it on walks, talk to it, store food in it, caress it…the ladies…they loved it! “Can I touch it?” Oblige yourself, ladies. “OMG it’s like a pillow! I thought it would be rough, but it’s so soft!” I remained single but hey…at least I looked like a man instead of a woman. My first beard gave me the looks to build a confidence I never knew.

One fateful winter night, I decided it was more annoying to maintain my beard than to shave. That night, I walked out into the cold and regretted killing my beard.

Since my first beard experience, I learned I preferred a beard to a baby face. I would go a few months without a beard during the summer, but I grow a new one every August to keep throughout the winter.

I met the love of my life while bearded in Montana. She loves the beard, though keeps me from allowing it to look unkempt. My current beard is my “baby”…it is nine months old. I would not kill a baby, so why would I kill my beard?

I now live in Las Vegas and have not shaved my beard yet. It gets very hot here during the summer (115F+). I think I will keep it. Keeps people from thinking I am an immature teenager. Nobody mistakes a man with a full beard. Another benefit: undesirable people walking around in Vegas move away from me if I combine the beard with a gaze that says “Hey, that guy is super nuts.”

I now claim shaving is a violation of the NAP against my beard. My beard and I; two individuals living symbiotically on this planet…I shall not raise sharpened steel in aggression against such a beautiful relationship.

Thank you for listening to my (somewhat sarcasm-filled) beard story. I hope my story inspires somebody to grow their beard!

Ethan Glover

Merkur Safety

Jeffrey Tucker

I feel like I should like a straight but actually I don’t. I use a modern Mach III with NO shaving cream at all. I get out of the shower and run that blade on my face and it’s done.

Shaving cream is a terrible racket. It only tenderizes your face and creates irritation and addiction and works to get between the blade and your face. Makes shaving much worse. I think it only exists to mollify deep anxieties.

But anyway, given that I shave with nothing, I use the best possible blade.

Ethan Glover

I used to do the same thing, Gillette 5-blade with no cream, and you don’t need the cream with those multi-blade razors. But I get a much better looking shave and no razor burn (ever) with the safety razor. Cream is required with it though because it cuts closer and will pull your hairs if you don’t use it.

Prenna

Today I learned that I shave the same way as Jeffrey Tucker. Straight from the shower to shaving with a Mach III. No creams or gels required.

Edwin Stremel

Right now I don’t use anything, although I’ll begin using a trimmer soon out of sheer necessity. I have decided to let my beard grow for at least one full year. I’m about 2.5 months into the quest right now, which is probably the longest I’ve ever let it go, and it’s coming along nicely.
    On another note thanks to Jared Rice for sharing Jeffery Tucker’s article and to Mr. Tucker for writing it.  That explains a lot, such as why the first shave, after letting my beard grow in the past, always left my face feeling smooth, while subsequent shaves left my skin feeling irritated.

Jared Rice

Not a problem! I am glad Mr. Tucker introduced me to the concept. I hate that stinging “fresh shave” feeling. I think it is one of the worst ways to start a morning. It felt like needles and pins on my face and I would end up being self-conscious about how red my face/neck were after shaving. I am much happier now with the full beard.

Anonymous

I was actually planning on not shaving at all….but I grow a fot beard (fucken orange thing) and my mustachio is white, so i generally use a Mach 3 with some organic shaving cream. I make sure I use an aftershave with little to no alcohol in it because alcohol dries out your face.

Anonymous

– and makes you look older 🙂

Adam Hoisington

I have been shaving my head for over ten years. My facial hair grows in like garbage. Pretty much the goatee and chin-strap setup I have now is the best I can do. It’s patchy and uneven otherwise.

I shaved pretty conventionally for the first five- or six-years – shaving cream and Mach III. Then, I decided I wanted to try a safety razor. I also switched to shaving “soap” – with the brush and whole bit. I used the safety razor on my face and the Mach III on my head for several months. Then, I tried out a straight-blade for my face… Then also for my head. I stopped using a straight-blade only because it was too much work. Stropping every-time, pulling out the water-stone once a week or so, the time it takes to shave without completely exsanguinating yourself, etc. The shave from a straight-blade is top notch. And of course, approximately 300% more badass than other methods.

Now, I use a Merkur safety razor on both my head and face with NO cream or soap. I have been using “Shark” brand blades and I have 200 “Derby” brand blades that I’ll try out after I’m through the Sharks (in probably two years if current usage remains – I way overbought blades).

Patrick Hatten

I’ve been a cartridge user since I started shaving. In the past month, I went to my local Wal-mart and was shocked at the prices for refills (they didn’t even carry my brand). That’s when I signed up for Dollar Shave Club. I got their 4 blade handle and cartridge and it’s been a joy to use. I love the open back that lets me rinse those stuck whiskers. And the best part of all is that it costs $11 per month which is a steal for cartridges. I don’t use shaving cream or DSC’s “face butter,” thanks to @jeffreytucker.

Mark Jakubik

I’m curious to know what the appeal of the Mach III is. I know there is a significant per blade differential, but my personal experience has been that the Fusion Pro Glide is far superior to the Mach III. Haven’t tried a straight blade or a safety razor – I’m too much of a coward.

Long Lost Friend

I use a safety razor with the shave soap and brush.

A safety razor takes a little getting used to, Mark, but it’s really not that risky (hence the name). The video embedded above is a good primer.

I buy ten blades (good for 2-3 shaves in my case) for about 3 dollars. The shave soap is 3-5 dollars and will last me at least three months. It’s far more economical, and it’s more masculine (in my opinion, of course).

Clarence Gardner

I used mostly electric for 30 years. Even though I never found one that worked very well. I would use a disposable, with “shaving cream” from a can, for a quick closeness fix when I really wanted one.

About two years ago I switched to a safety razor. Partly I had been curious, but what really made me do it was realizing the appalling waste — of both money and resources (plastic) — of disposable razors. I shave every other day, and a single razor blade lasts me two to three weeks. In fact, I’m not really sure when one is used up; sometimes I go to a new one just because it seems like I should.

For our apprehensive brethren, I’ll say I had the occasional bleeder when I started, but that’s pretty much gone by the wayside. My styptic block tells me that I may have some microcuts or dermabrasions or something; no biggie.

And, my shaves are (made up statistic alert) three times closer than with a disposable, and ten times closer than with an electric.

And, I’ve tried the quick pass with a disposable in the shower when I’m in a hurry and just want a touch up. I find that that can leave me looking shaven, but not feeling it.

Will Davis

Psshaw!

Anonymous

Merkur safety razor with Feather razor blades.

I have not yet worked up the skepticism to get rid of my shave oil, cream, and after-shave.

One day, Mr. Tucker.  One day.

Theo Goodman

old fashioned safety razor, brush and shaving soap

Jeffrey Tucker

I like no cream and a fancy 3-blade model. Lasts such a long time so long as you are not using cream.

Mike Reid

Man oh man, I’m interested in the alternatives now. I’m still using disposables and cream like I have for 15 years!

Josh Wells

Switched to a safety razor a few years ago and never looked back. Use an Edwin Jagger DE89 safety razor which is great for beginners. Have tried numerous blades. I started out with Derby then went to Astra and I still have some left over that I use but now I prefer Feather blades. Would not recommend them for a beginner though. They are extremely sharp. Badger brush and soap or cream. My favorite is Mitchell’s Wool Fat. It’s a bit of money up front to get set up but over the long run it can save you a lot of money. The soap and cream lasts a long time and the cost of even the best quality blades is nothing compared to those multi blade cartridges. Grandpa had it right all along.

Zachary

Nothing crazy.  A low or medium carbon steel blade by Thiers Issard in a stainless steel bedding.