Snowflakes?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

Snowflakes?

• Gladstonian Liberal

Lots of young people have been called ‘snowflakes’ recently. This group likes ‘safe spaces’, appear easily offended and ‘call-out’ micro aggressions. But sadly all of this is about shutting down ideas and curtailing freedom of speech. This is not the work of a tender snowflake but of a militancy that appears to have taken a hold of many universities. Calling them snowflakes surely let’s them off the hook?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Rob Wells

Right on – well said, and political correctness has nothing to do with being polite or considerate.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Gladstonian Liberal

Indeed. It is used to rehsape how we think. The problem is that the inconsiderate then claim they are being criticised by the politically correct when they are rude.

chris lynn

Not all liberals are snowflakes. however many are. A liberal who might close down a conservative at a university – that’s a snowflake (and a bully who uses numbers (and violence) alternatively of discussion. I must add that if a conservative might close down a liberal, UK Essay Writer then you definitely have a conservative snowflake. )

Edward Guyatt

It’s sad that defending such a basic tenet of liberal democracy as free speech is being left to disagreeable right-wing old men. Not that I have anything against such people. But they’re always going to be perceived as the bad guys by rebellious, anti-nomian young people both collectivist and individualist.

Now, shaming the weakest of the enemies of liberty may provide necessary short-term gains in the propaganda war, but people on this website should obviously be avoiding such discussions altogether so we can dedicate ourselves to developing strategies for re-capturing the information organs i.e. academia, press, church, school and social media — which at present are heavily Progressive. Paying attention to slanging matches degrades the intellect and poisons the spirit — far better to read books on game theory, cybernetics, propaganda and liberty, become a force to be reckoned with and, just as Neo-Marxism, Progressivism, and Modern Liberalism in turn suverted each other after Classical Liberalism by exagerrating the failure of the predecessor in some area of detail — so must we subvert Neo-Marxism by pointing out the inadequacy of intersectionality in specifying the tyranny of society over the individual and the necessity of individualism and liberty for ‘real emancipation’ — because ‘democratic liberty is not the only possible form of liberty’! Uahaha, such is my evil evil plot to prevent communism and make the world a place full of smiles, cuddles, ice-cream and candy floss.

Gladstonian Liberal

Edward, some interesting points but I am not sure why dealing with free speech shouldn’t be debated here. And that was the central point. These attempts to shut down free speech are growing and the people doing have been called ‘snowflakes’. My argument is stop calling them that and call them what they are. Trying to belittle them, as you say, is wrong.

Edward Guyatt

You’re right, I concede. Also…

Conservatives usually make the tactical error of laughing at encroaching tyranny. It’s folly because laughter is a refusal to take something seriously — a giddy collective pushing-away of the unthreatening, the ignorable.

So to those stand-up comedians who say “it’s important that we can still laugh”: yeah, no. If your laughter serves to pretend everything’s okay when it’s not, it’s serving your rival’s intermediate goal of shutting down civil debate and their endgame of violent revolution.

ellsworth spooner

Hi Gladstone, I think snowflake has become one of those terms that has been expanded to mean whatever one wants.  I myself have fallen prey to using it to infer fragility, but I think its original usage as a mild epithet was to observe that someone feels they are special in the way that every snowflake is unique & special.  This derives from the modern self esteem movement, whose theory is to protect children from any negative consequence and make sure everyone gets a trophy in games with no score keeping, etc.

The fragility stems from this hysterical over protective sheltering of children from cradle to college; and telling them all how “special” they are.  Once out of the protective cocoon into real life, many of them shatter.

In closing I would admit that an individual snowflake, for all its unique specialness IS very fragile; but get enough of these self esteem junkies together in a group and you have a BLIZZARD; and THAT can be dangerous.

Gladstonian Liberal

Well said!