"United Kingdom"

You must be logged in to create new topics.

"United Kingdom"

• Anna Winters

Hey all,

So this is the only and largest group for Liberty.me users from the UK. It is great to meet you all!

I want to start a discussion about use of the term “United Kingdom”.

Whereas some terms for places are simply geographical, e.g. England and (to a greater extent) the British Isles, and such geographical conventions would doubtless exist in a stateless society, other terms can be seen as purely political in origin. “United Kingdom” is quite clearly one of these. It says nothing about the place, only that there’s a kingdom ruling over it. The division of political power is much more complex than that today, but the term is statist in any case.

I honestly feel quite uncomfortable using the term “United Kingdom” to describe where I live. It is a reminder and enforcement of my slavery. If people ask, I say I am from Great Britain, a geographical term.

Do other people share this concern? If this is to be the largest group for Liberty-minded people from the British Isles, would it be a better statement of our purpose and more in line with our values to have a different name?

I look forward to your thoughts,
    Anna

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Milton

Personally I don’t feel uncomfortable using the term United Kingdom, which I think is just an acceptance of the current reality that there is a political state in this region for now :P.

I certainly agree that the division of political power is very complex today, not just the division of political power within the UK, but also how globalisation has affected the UK and, to a certain extent, all western nations.

Id love to have a different name haha, how about… Republica Anarchia? 😛 Or maybe that’s the name of our future utopia :D. Yeah, you could call it the British Isles, though Irish and Scottish nationalists would take issue with that name. They refer to the islands as something different, its pre-Roman name. Perhaps you could call it Britannia, though again, Scot nats etc would take issue with that.

You could call it the “Atlantic Archipelago” or the “Anglo-Celtic Isles”. Im just sat here trying to remember what its pre-Roman name was….

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Milton

Some of the pre-Roman names are Albion, Britanniae (variant PrettanikÄ“, both derived from PritanÄ« and Pritanos, both meaning “people of the forms”, possibly in reference to the tattoos the inhabitants of these Islands put on their bodies). Theres another big word that can be used for these islands also. Theres like, a whole literature on the naming dispute of the islands, like, for separatist nationalists any reference to Britain/British is politically value laden, so yeah, in academic literature Pritanos and Pritani are used, because its neutral, Albion or Greater Albion have also been used.

But yeah if you were to go round saying im from Albion or Pritanos most people would just look at you like wtf 😛

James Smith

I’m not really that bothered! As long as everyone knows where in the world you are referring to. It’s the same, for me, as calling The Queen ‘The Queen’ rather than just ‘Liz’ or whatever. It’s only got as much power as you give it.