What's in a name?

You must be logged in to create new topics.

What's in a name?

• Daniel Shafrir

What are the varying opinions out there as to why you label yourself a voluntaryist? Do you get a cold shoulder from people who hear you say you’re an anarchist? Is libertarian too watered down? Do you think there’s a further distinction between the two?

I would still call myself an anarchist, but I use the term voluntaryist with people I don’t want to push away before a discussion can even take place.

Thoughts?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• William Magro

I agree with Daniel. I think the word anarchist is very manipulated in today’s world. its become synonymous with ciaos and violence. The term Libertarian is so broad its not very clear what you are saying. voluntarism has no negative meanings to it, as well the world voluntary is one we all use and understand. Making an introduction to my politics or  opinions on matters of force. It is much easier to say “Oh I think this should be voluntary, because i’m a voluntarist”. However they may not understand as coercion is common so people will ask you to explain.  They will not start with a bad impression, when spreading liberty I don’t need to lose a battle before it starts.

If somebody where to accuse me or ask if I am a anarchist/libertarian I would not say no. We should not throw a word under the buss because its been misused although when explaining our ideals we do not need to knowingly hurt the process. the flag I carry is black an yellow. an-cap is who I am but voluntaryist works just as good to describe what I know is true.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cameron T. Belt

I think using the word anarchists is the better option, i think using it more, correctly, is the way to go. As someone else noted its become synonymous with chaos so i think we should take that word back and define for people. Anarchy simply means no rulers, and when you tell them that then explain that they go about their day without someone directing them in their individual pursuits they’re already half way to anarchy!

Its sort of like how the word liberal was hijacked by those on the left, i think we need to reclaim the word Anarchist and use it proudly. Thats the other thing i absolutely loathe about some in the liberty movement, is their fear of using that word, even though they are anarchists they never say the word. Say it loudly and proudly! I am an Anarchist!

Daniel Shafrir

Actually just this week I used the word when discussing my views with a co-worker. I was tempted to say ‘voluntaryist’ but in the last second I decided I’d go with ‘anarchist’. I knew it would get more of an impact and since I had time for an in-depth discussion I felt confident I would be able to turn him around from thinking it’s equivalent to chaos. By the end of the discussion he still felt uneasy but there were quite a lot of new bridges built.

Sometimes you just need to use a word that really conveys how radical your intentions are.

Joseph Fetz

I tend to use anarcho-libertarian to describe myself, because it not only describes the political philosophy and principles of which I adhere to, but it also states that I’m a proponent of the stateless view in that regard.

If I were to simply say anarchist, then this would leave much in the air, because there are many types of anarchists. If I were to simply say libertarian, then some people might mistakenly think that I’m an Objectivist. If I were to say voluntaryist, then that gives no direct link to the particular theories that are specifically libertarian.

With anarcho-libertarian, it’s pretty clear that I’m probably within the Rothbardian/Hoppeian tradition.

Robert Spencer

I like the term Voluntaryist.  But I also like the term Anarcho Capitalist, I don’t think I ever refer to myself as only an anarchist because of the anComs among others and I just don’t want anyone confusing me for a bomb thrower.

I’ve met some really great people like Daniel and being honest and open is always the best first step.

Propertea

I use both terms interchangeably. I’ve seen some complain voluntaryism != anarchism, but over the past few years they’ve been used to been the same thing colloquially. I think the voluntaryism label helps communicate that I support free association, which may involve people pursuing profit or sharing. Anyone that is familiar with libertarianism understands that capitalism includes free association, but many people see that and assume “only profit, not sharing or communal ownership allowed.”